Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Birdhouses

Truly amazing!That is astonishing. Really detailed, must be quite a job to build something like those.

Thank you John and Gus ! Some of the houses are very time consuming .It all depends on how long it takes me to come up with a design .I usually just start building and design them as I go . This blue house I posted It took 4 days to build and I had no idea what I was building until the third day . A few of my houses have taken me up to 2 1/2 years to design and build on and off .

Those bird hotels are very creative, John. I watched the Youtube and I assume that each bird entry hole is to a separate room? How does the air circulate? The birds here in far northern California have all kinds of places to nest in my area. Given that the sparrows actually came over on ships from Europe, they have really flourished here. I've admired their tenacity and survival traits.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    Those bird hotels are very creative, John. I watched the Youtube and I assume that each bird entry hole is to a separate room? How does the air circulate? The birds here in far northern California have all kinds of places to nest in my area. Given that the sparrows actually came over on ships from Europe, they have really flourished here. I've admired their tenacity and survival traits.
    Thank you Stan ! I build the insides a little smaller than the shell so they slide in and out easily and also for the ventilation . I leave about 1/4" air space .The floors and walls float inside the shell .

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, John, I've missed you! Thanks for sharing more of your great work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very cool! What are you using for roofing material?

Thank you Glenn ! I have a little more time on my hands right now at least until all this snow is gone . I should have another 6 ft house done within the next week or so . I probably built about 300 birdhouses since the last time I posted here .

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Marr View Post
    Very cool! What are you using for roofing material?
    Thank you Thomas . I use a product called Barnmaster steel . It is used on the exterior walls of pole barns and is good for 40 - 45 years .

So cool. You should make a Downton Abbey replica house!!

Very impressive. I assume it is a business for you as well?
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Thank you Peter and Gordon ! This is strictly a hobby for me . I am retired due to chronic pain and fibromyalgia .I just build these houses to keep myself out of trouble .

Wow that's quite a collection of bird house. Very cool they look fun to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    So cool. You should make a Downton Abbey replica house!!
    Problem with that is - every one dies in the end . Man I am so over that show!

Sorry for the little rant - John, I now understand why we have so fewer birds this winter in Maine - they are all in Ontario getting ready to move in . For an avid bird watcher like me your creations are wonderful to see.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thank you Ryan and Sam ! These houses really are a lot of fun to build and it is nice to walk outside in the morning and see the birds all over their houses . The Downtown Abbey looks like a great design to build .

I'm more of a "Kubota" tractor man myself, but the houses are incredible....my wifes been after me to replace one we've had in the yard for some time now...I could only hope to complete one as nice! Thanks for sharing!