Thread: ideas for valentines message on 1.5" block of rough sawn

ideas for valentines message on 1.5" block of rough sawn

Hi guys

I have a plank of rough sawn Spanish chestnut, currently about 18% mc, 5"x1.75"

i want to cut a block from this plank into one foot long piece and inscribe a message for the other half into it using router with letter templates.

I'm a beginner woodworker and really don't know where to start with this task. I also haven't any fixed idea on design yet or finish, so i would be open to all suggestions!

i hope you can understand the basics of what i am trying to achieve, so I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Eoin--

Since you're asking, I'm guessing you are not (yet) very familiar with template routing. You can Google "template routing" and get some good info.

You will need:

A plunge router
    A guide bushing and bit
    A template (you can buy or make this---if you make it yourself you have complete control over size/design etc.)

If this were my project, I would

1. surface the wood
    2. make a template (depending on the design, you may need more than one)
    3. install the bushing and bit
    4. make a test cut in scrap (important step!)
    5. attach the template to the work (can use double-stick tape, clamps, screws, ...)
    6. Rout
    7. sand and finish

[LEFT]
    thanks jerry, i guess you would call what I'm trying to make a plaque.
    i actually only bought my router today, and it came with guide bushings and straigt cutting bits, letter templates (acrylic) and also a circular disc with lots of holes

so i have what i need in terms of letters, just wondering what's the method to do it and if anybody has any ideas for simple design for it?

The other part of my question is the wood.
    it is rough from the mills. I've never dealt with wood that was not pao. Just would like to know the steps required to bring it to a nice finish. Obviously trueness and straightness are not very important as it's not involved with joinery
    thanks again

Blog Entries
    You can leave it rough, carve a heart and arrow, then you and your SO's names. E.g. Either John + Mary. Or John Loves Mary or similar. The idea being, to make it look like the traditional carving on a tree.

Thanks Bill, it don't look that great as it is

Ok, so you want the wood to become flat and smooth. I don't know what tools you have (other than a router). Typically, the first steps would be to use a jointer and planer to get there. Without access to those tools, one can accomplish the same results with hand planes. If you are completely tool-less, you can, I guess, use sandpaper to get you there. Arduous, maybe, but if the piece is relatively small, then do-able. Use a flat block of something to back up the paper, so you stay flat, start with something coarse, like 60 grit, then work your way through 80, 100, then rout, then work through 150 grit and 180. Then finish.

Would electric handheld belt sander do the job instead of hand planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Ryans View Post
    Would electric handheld belt sander do the job instead of hand planes?
    Yes, but you'll have to be careful to keep it flat. Taking passes diagonally in opposite directions can help. It might also help to do the sanding on a larger-than-finish-size piece, then cut your plaque from the flattened board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Yes, but you'll have to be careful to keep it flat. Taking passes diagonally in opposite directions can help. It might also help to do the sanding on a larger-than-finish-size piece, then cut your plaque from the flattened board.
    This is my original plank:

chestnut.jpg
    This is what it looks like now (apologies for pic quality, cell phone):

IMG123.jpg

I've done this with 80 grit paper on a small electric diy sander.

It is not flat, so maybe I should get a handheld plane. As I intend to use the router and acrylic letter template to route a message on it, is this the reason that you adivse it should be fllat?

Any more thoughts on adding to the design, preferably using the router / another easily made jig?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Ryans View Post
    Any more thoughts on adding to the design, preferably using the router / another easily made jig?
    Don't know what you've got designed so far. Are you thinking of something like this?:

Plaque 2-10-13.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Don't know what you've got designed so far. Are you thinking of something like this?:

Plaque 2-10-13.png
    Yes jerry, exactly