Thread: So went to an auction and bought some hand tools...

So went to an auction and bought some hand tools...

So did I get a good deal? Maybe this should be in the neanderthal forum but seems general but if wrong place, mods please move it. Went to an auction today for a gentleman who passed away who collected an assortment of tools, mostly wrenches and had a decent selection of woodworking tools. I have been woodworking a few years and have very few hand tools for most of my work I use power tools. I am really starting to like doing some work with hand tools and find them very useful in many operations. I have been shopping around for some additional hand planes and good chisels for a while and couldn't help myself today purchase some of these as they seemed reasonably priced versus ebay. Once the Mrs. finds out what I spent today though I may have to unload some of these.

I bought a No 6 and No 7 plane for $20 and $55 respectively. The No 7 seems nice and clean and the iron is useable. The No. 6 is pretty rough, the iron is basically junk and has a fair amount of corrosion under the iron and is missing a screw that fixes the blade carrier and the base. I have a friend who's got a family member who collects and restores hand planes that I think I will have give both of these a makeover, or part out the No 6 if it is beyond repair.
    DSC00974.JPGDSC00982.JPG

I believe this is a No. 18 Stanley Bailey. I have been shopping for a low angle block plane for a while and this was the nicest of the bunch today. Paid $30 for it and everything seems to function. No cracks and the cap looks in good shape.
    DSC00980.JPGDSC00981.JPG

Bought the chisels for $10 a piece, the three mortise chisels are Witherby and the 1 1/2" is a Jennings. All are pretty clean and look like they should be easy to tune up.
    DSC00984.JPG

Last, bought a No. 4 for $20 as well. Has the brass adjustment cap which I believe puts it in the older category. It is clean and has some fresher chips in it but is definitely in need of a sharpening.
    DSC00988.JPG

I am excited over the purchases of the day and look forward to years of good use!

Thanks for looking!

Bob

Blog Entries
    Those prices seem fair. Once you do some clean up and tuning you should have some good working tools. I have teh same low angle block plane and use it frequently in my shop. You'll like the adjustable blade opening.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like a good haul too me. I don't think that #6C is in quite as bad shape as you might believe. That's a nice sized plane to have around. If the soles are flat and straight on the #6C and #7C you got some good keepers.
    The prices seem fair to me.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Bob just curious where you are located? I checked out a huge hand tool auction on Friday that was yesterday and wondered if that is where you found your tools.

Tim, on the east side of ames is where the sale was.

I'll have to post a couple more pics of the No 6 and you guys can give me a better grade on it. I don't think I went wrong for $20 on it.