Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First shop cabinet complete!

I also found Tom's book very helpful. He stresses the need to construct the cabinets accurately and measure carefully so drawer slides will be kept parallel and coplanar to allow drawers to operate smoothly. This can be a lot of repetitous measurement. What I did is to make a few spacers to use for exact placement of components rather than measure and mark everything.

Color me envious of all you guys that have so much room for your shop... I share a 2-car garage with a car and assorted yard items. Makes things a challenge, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Kotnik View Post
    I also found Tom's book very helpful. He stresses the need to construct the cabinets accurately and measure carefully so drawer slides will be kept parallel and coplanar to allow drawers to operate smoothly. This can be a lot of repetitous measurement. What I did is to make a few spacers to use for exact placement of components rather than measure and mark everything.
    Ditto that Glenn. I wish I had been more accurate. I ended up using several drawer widths and many shims to make the drawer slides work right. It all turned out o.k., but could have been a lot easier.

Tom, I saw a reference to your book, Practical Shop Cabinets from a gentleman who posted something on Instructables. I want your book, but unfortunately PayPal link doesn't work. I called PayPal and they said it was a problem with the price on your end. Please let me know if there is an alternate way I can get the book. My shop needs the help...I need the help.

I too would love to get this book but the PayPal link does not work. Any idea how to get in touch with Tom?

Nice job on the cabinet. The only thing I could suggest for future builds is recessed pulls. I find in my shop every hand held power tool, extension cord and clothing pockets catch on exposed pulls.

Wow, this thread started 3 years ago!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    Wow, this thread started 3 years ago!

And it's still totally viable ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by iyacyas price View Post
    I too would love to get this book but the PayPal link does not work. Any idea how to get in touch with Tom?
    From his website:

Only $13 plus $3.50 shipping to your US address. Please mail your check or money order for $16.50 US to:

Tom Clark

13720 Butterfield Trail NW

Deming, NM 88030

PayPal orders No Long accpted.

Canadian orders - US funds via PayPal only. Checks not accepted. $19.00 Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Nice job on the cabinet. The only thing I could suggest for future builds is recessed pulls. I find in my shop every hand held power tool, extension cord and clothing pockets catch on exposed pulls.

Very valid point. That's why I used closed drawer pulls
    P1030614.jpg
    Cheers!

Tim

I sent the money through paypal with a few extra bucks to cover the fees in hopes it would expedite shipping since I need to knock out a few cabinets in short order. 3 weeks later and still nothing. Perhaps he doesn't monitor his paypal account anymore but it allowed me to send the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M Pyle View Post
    I sent the money through paypal with a few extra bucks to cover the fees in hopes it would expedite shipping since I need to knock out a few cabinets in short order. 3 weeks later and still nothing. Perhaps he doesn't monitor his paypal account anymore but it allowed me to send the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kelley View Post
    From his website:

Only $13 plus $3.50 shipping to your US address. Please mail your check or money order for $16.50 US to:

Tom Clark

13720 Butterfield Trail NW

Deming, NM 88030

PayPal orders No Long accepted.

Canadian orders - US funds via PayPal only. Checks not accepted. $19.00 Thank you!
    Seems he’s no longer accepting PayPal and says so on his website.