Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Spectrum Lasers

Lightbulb Full Spectrum Lasers

I'm looking for a laser to get into this with as a hobby/small business and someone suggested Full Spectrum Lasers 40w hobby laser. I'm wondering, does anyone have experience with these or other FS Lasers? Would this a good route to take or something like this be very limiting? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Full Spectrum lasers are repainted and sometimes doctored Chinese lasers. If your willing to take on the work to get one imported you can get the same machine for less. Although I have no personal experience with Full Spectrum, pretty much everything that I have read here on the forum says their customer service is terrible. If you don't want to import the machine but are looking around the same price range and product as Full Spectrum you should check out Hurricane lasers, they are pretty much the exact same thing.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

My advice is to avoid the k40/40w/hobby lasers like the plague. $499-699 ex china , up to $2500 in the USA , constructed using cheap parts , lots of reliability issues , lousy limited software , expensive repairs , limited/expensive/no support ... NOT AT ALL suitable for any commercial application.
    As to getting into the business and advice on what laser .. read this board , search this board , the info is all there and is extensive.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Just to balance the discussion, My unit has run fine, I have gotten good results and I spent a lot less money. No I don't run it 24 hours a day, its a hobby machine but it has paid for its self. Service has been good, response reasonable. And yes I would buy another unit from them.
    This discussion reminds me of cars. I hate Chevy's ,love Fords, all cause I had one that didn't live up to my expectations or some dealer didn't do what I ( yes I not THEM) thought should have been done. Few companies have perfect records, I guess laser companies fall into that category. I'd be the first to say FS units are not the top of the line, but then again, I can't afford to live in Pam Beach , fly a private G5 Gulfstream, drive a Lamborghini, or own a TROTEC 300 (no I didn't win either). We all make cost benefit decisions everyday and hope they work out for us. This is no different. We buy what we can afford, within the guidelines we think we can live with and hope it works out well.
    I can't afford a trotec, not comfortable with a direct import from china, and want someone in the states to talk to when it breaks or I get stupid........ So for ME, it has worked out. So if it turns on today, I'll think my 60 watts are every bit as good as yours and smile at the thought I got it cheaper. If it doesn't turn on, well I guess I'll trade it in for a something better OR at least different.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

I would not ever buy another Full spectrum laser, just search here on them and read all the horror stories. Theres like 2 people who like them and the rest will tell the story. Mine just sits in a corner now unused . I've just written it off as a 2500 dollar mistake. I can't afford that lose but I can't afford to keep taking it back and paying for repairs that they should cover and won't , they tell you its your fault its not working right , they tell you hey its a hobby laser and you have to work on it to keep it running, they tell you they don't have time for you and your cheap machine. and if you don't believe me I have 100s of emails to prove it .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

We purchased a 40w machine from Hurricane Lasers and have had no problems with it. We have always been able to speak to someone when we call with questions. We highly recommend Hurricane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I would not ever buy another Full spectrum laser, just search here on them and read all the horror stories.
    Not to mention the ones that were removed due to them being attached to posts by the owner who has had his account deleted twice... it's a shame they were removed rather than locked as you got a real sense of his attitude towards customers (and this forum, in particular).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have a Hurricane 60w and it is great and their support group is super!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Ruzicka View Post
    I'm looking for a laser to get into this with as a hobby/small business and someone suggested Full Spectrum Lasers 40w hobby laser. I'm wondering, does anyone have experience with these or other FS Lasers? Would this a good route to take or something like this be very limiting? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I have had my 40 watt hobby laser for just over two years.
    It works fine and has never had any real problems other than arriving rather badly out of alignment.
    The machine is rather light weight and goes a bit out of alignment whenever I move it.
    Good news is that it is light weight enough that I can move it easily and that now that I have the right small bits and wrenches, it only takes minutes to realign.
    The Print Driver works with every program that I have ever used it with and I did not have to buy Corel and AutoCad.
    Occasionally the laser goes a little berserk and vectors a line where no line should be.
    Reboot and it works fine.
    I suspect my old XP computer more than the FSE driver might be the blame.
    The FSE cuts 1/4 inch acrylic and poplar at one inch every 5 to 7 seconds.
    Mine has gone miles.
    I use it for cutting quilt templates for my wife and her friends, jewelry boxes for girl cousins and gaskets for my antique airplane friends.
    I also have a large CNC milling machine and before committing hours to milling out a stainless part, I spend a few laser minutes in acrylic to proof the layout.

I bought mine because I knew little about lasers and was not sure about committing a lot of money and then find out that I would not have a use for one.
    Now that I have one, I cannot imagine living without one.
    In my opinion, the FSE is a very good value.
    It does pretty much everything that the much more expensive lasers do, but perhaps slower.
    However, six FSEs costing the same as one American RF laser will probably do more work for the dollars spent.

As far as service, some of the brand name American units have great service.
    However, it comes at $150 an hour and parts costs will buckle your knees.
    As far as I can tell, FSE service comes free in that it does not exist.
    Then again, if you offer FSE $150/hr, they may provide great service also.

If you are running an engraving business and have customers screaming for product, $150/hour will seem like a great deal if it is provided right now.
    If you are making trinkets for your niece, being able to buy a new laser tube or power supply on Ebay for $150 and only waiting a week or two for it is totally acceptable.
    It sort of appears to me that people that pay $2300 or a laser expect lifetime service, parts and support for free and that people that pay $20,000 for a laser think that their $2,000 a year service plan is a bargain.

So, would I buy another FSE 40 watt Hobby Pro?
    Probably not.
    Knowing what I know now, I want something at least 36x24 with 80 watts.
    I would order directly from China and cuss the primitive software that comes with it every time that I use it.
    Am I sorry that I bought what I bought?
    Not at all. It has been great. I learned exactly what a laser can do. I have made hundreds of gifts and hundreds of really useful tools and templates.
    When I get a bigger machine, I will lovingly give the FSE to a relative or friend who is into arts and crafts and tell them to have as much fun as I have had with it.
    Lasers are really cool tools.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Rech; 02-14-2013 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Typo

I have had a FSL 40W hobby for about 14 months now. It is the first laser than I have ever owned and I use it for my business. I have never had to call for service or repair so I really can't comment on other's who have had issues with their service department. I can only tell you about my personal experience. Out of the box, setup, some alignment with the mirrors and I was engraving within a couple of hours. I have days that I use the machine for 4 - 6 hours at a time. I have never in 14 months had a single issue with the hardware or software. I have already paid mine off with the work that I have done on it. I hope to upgrade within the next year to a bigger machine and I would consider FSL.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rech View Post
    Occasionally the laser goes a little berserk and vectors a line where no line should be.
    Reboot and it works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rech View Post
    It does pretty much everything that the much more expensive lasers do, but perhaps slower.
    It seems it does more... like add in extra lines from time to time Try telling a customer "Sorry I ruined your $10k guitar engraving with that extra line, but hey, all I had to do was reset the machine and the next one will come out fine." As you said, if you're doing inexpensive work or stuff you can replace easily, it's probably worth the risk... but you get more than just good service with the extra money on Western machines, you also get a higher reliability level in the work it produces.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Highly rated products and problem resolution

I have a highly rated Laser Engraver attached to a highly rated Desktop
    PC loaded with a highly rated Graphics Software Package that produces
    a glitch when engraving. To date the vendors have all pointed the finger
    at the others' products as the cause. So much for getting what you pay
    for. I have found a work around to this pain but have concluded just
    because you buy the highly rated model does not necessarily mean your
    highly rated service will provide resolution.

Wes

Have you posted that issue here?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Anyone had a Front Line Laser Machine? Are they any good?

All lasers have thier bugs, the difference is getting them fixed (support) and getting them back on line. I can't afford to be down for days waiting on parts or phone calls. My new Epilog 36EXT was engraving all over the place out of the box, within 15 mins of my call to Epilog support they called me back and had the answer, a set screw had come loose on a pulley during shipment. Back to making money. They are expensive, but my first EXT paid itself off in 40 days and my new one is 1/3rd of the way along in 3 days of operation. Get what you pay for ...absolutley.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128