Thread: Kiridashi Kogatana

Kiridashi Kogatana

There was some interest in this kiridashi, so I am posting a few pics.

For those into Japanese woodworking tools, you know how important the kiridashi knife is to the Japanese craftsman. You also know that Japanese craftsmen have extremely high expectations of the cutting ability of these little knives. This is an excellent example of a fancy pants professional grade hand-forged kiridashi kogatana.

It was made by a Blacksmith named Kinsaburo Usui working in Yoita (Niigata Prefecture) that went by the professional name of San Dai Sukemaru (Sukemaru the Third). He passed away 4 years ago, but I am told his son, who specializes in making chisels from HS steel and other unusual materials, has picked up his Father's mantle as Sukemaru the Fourth.

Sukemaru is famous for his "Ayu Fish" kiridashi shaped like little fish. I have one that was given to me as a present, but the edge is too short for my tastes. Besides, I feel silly doing serious woodworking with a tool that looks like a little black fish.

This knife is almost always on my benchtop nowadays, and I have been using it recently to whittle a handle for a new lighter-weight daruma hammer shown in the attached picture (still just unfinished raw wood. Head by Hiroki).

I believe it's forged from Hitachi Yasuki Blue Paper steel. It cuts really well, holds a pretty good edge, and I like the longer length of the cutting edge. Most importantly, it fits my hand better than any knife I have used previously.

The shape is unique, and not quite as politically correct here in Japan nowadays as the Ayu shape is. It has been made in careful imitation of a sword tang that has been shortened from the longer tachi to a katana, something that historically happened to many old swords as weaponry fashions changed. In the Japanese tradition, the tang of a sword was not just a bit of steel intended to secure a handle to, but was a very important part of its identity. This kiridashi has the right cross-section (albeit that of a very skinny sword), the groove, and the filework (opposite side from the one seen in the photo).

I have become quite fond of it during the last couple of years since I bought it from an old rundown hardware store going out of business in Tokyo.

I normally despise overly decorative woodworking tools. You know the kind I mean. Chisels with twisted necks, and acid-etched blades, and rosewood handles. Planes with flamboyant engraving and sold in wooden boxes covered with gaudy calligraphy. I don't want anyone to think that a good kiridashi has to have an unusual shape like this. While it is fun, and doesn't hurt the functionality, the extra decorative work adds quite a bit to the cost of these sort of knives.

Stan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 02-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.

I think it's very tasteful compared to a lot of the bling that's made for the export market. The taste reminds me of the plainer stuff that mosaku makes. It is not so flashy, but when you look closely at it, you can tell it was made with great skill and care.

I agree with David. I rarely even look at the flashy Japanese tools as this is not a feature that is important to me at all. I am not a collector of tools therefore don't care for the acid etched, twisted neck, and mokume chisels and can't justify the costs. I admit that the craftsmanship in these chisels is impressive. But the small details added to this knife is perfect. These are the subtle details in tools that I plan on owning through my lifetime that appeal to me. Anyways, I really like the knife and think it would be very useful in my newest woodworking challenge, building an acoustic guitar. The shape seems like the perfect tool for carving the neck's details around the headstock and heel.

Thanks for posting those pics Stanley. What a lovely knife. I bet it takes one hell of an edge.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Wait, you whittled the handle for the daruma hammer? Looks very nice; well done!

Thanks for the pictures of both.

Great looking knife, Stanley, bet it's a joy to use.

I also find it encouraging that you used the knife to make the daruma handle.

Very nice indeed. I have always admired the utility knives consisting of handle (kozuka) and blade (kogatana) made by the Japanese sword smiths - they were made to the very high standards of the swords (nihonto) themselves - extremely sharp, wonderfully polished and complete with temper line (hamon). Here is one of mine carried in a Wakizashi and made by Tango No Kami Kanemichi during the Edo period. It has seen much use, but is still in great shape for a three hundred year old blade.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Pickering View Post
    Very nice indeed. I have always admired the utility knives consisting of handle (kozuka) and blade (kogatana) made by the Japanese sword smiths - they were made to the very high standards of the swords (nihonto) themselves - extremely sharp, wonderfully polished and complete with temper line (hamon). Here is one of mine carried in a Wakizashi and made by Tango No Kami Kanemichi during the Edo period. It has seen much use, but is still in great shape for a three hundred year old blade.

James
    Nice little 兼道. You have some very beautiful blades there. Have you used the kogatana? Does it cut well?