Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arts & Crafts style benches with Axis Deer Hide seats

Arts & Crafts style benches with Axis Deer Hide seats

I built this pair of benches a few months back. Just now getting around to posting some pics! They are all QSWO. The only machine work involved using my bandsaw to resaw some 1/8" thick veneers for the legs. I made sure all four faces were quarter sawn. Other than that, everything else was done by hand. All joinery is mortise and through tenon construction, draw bored with square pegs for most of the joints. The square pegs were much more involved than round ones. But the overall look was definitely worth it. The Axis hide used for the seats was harvested on our ranch. I think it fits the style well. The wood was fumed with 29% ammonia for six hours, then a few coats of BLO were applied. I finished it off with some dark brown paste wax. The fuming process made the sapwood really pop. I took advantage of that on the top rails of both benches. If you look closely, you can even see the sapwood extending through the end of the tenons! Overall a very satisfying and educational project. It was my first time with through tenons and fuming. I'm very happy with both processes and will definitely utilize them again. Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work on those Jason. Joinery looks very very cleanly done. Great color too, and lovely work all around. Looks like a fun build, I bet you had a really good time with those. Thanks for sharing.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Nicely done Jason,the craftsmanship,the axis hides,best of all the scenery really makes it.Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Jason, those are beautiful. I was totally surprised by the spotted hides! I expected just leather - I love them. Great photos, funny to see them where you'd see the deer grazing.

The lines are nice, are they your design?

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! The design is based off of a project I saw in Wood magazine a few years back. I change up the dimensions a bit and decided to use the through mortise and tenon joinery instead of biscuits. And I have been looking for an excuse to use those hides! It was my mother in laws idea to take the pics out in the field. That's actually in our front yard. She has a better eye for photography than I do!

Here is a recent pic of one of our Axis bucks. Beautiful animals!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I build quite a bit of arts & crafts furniture for my wife and I must say that these are very impressive! I really like the clean lines and well executed joinery. You mention that it is a Wood Magazine plan. Do you have the issue or plan name? I would really like to build a pair for my wife. Also, what kind of "tent " did you use for fuming?

Thanks, Joe

Are those true through tenons I spy?

I would be very interested to here about your layout to cut the mortises for the stretchers.
    Not that I have a project that would use them, they just look kewl.

Blog Entries
    Nice work.

Are the Axis tasty?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Joe, the Wood magazine I referred to is issue #200, the October 2010 issue.

Jim, I used my brace and auger bits to hog out most of the waste for the mortices. I didn't have mortice chisels at the time, so cleanup was done with standard bench chisels. I just made sure to go from both sides and meet in the center. This guaranteed I stayed on my layout lines. This step is critical for through tenons. I then fit each tenon to the mortise using my tenon saw for rough shaping and a shoulder plane and chisels for fine tuning. The chamfers on the tenon ends were done with my low angle block plane. Then the peg holes were drilled with my brace and the sides squared up with chisels.

Jim, Axis meat is delicious. Less gamey than whitetail. And on average, I can get 100-150 lbs of meat from a mature doe. The deer are very large and thrive in central Texas. Plus, being exotics there is no defined season. They can be hunted year round. They are our primary source of meat.

Jason, can I get some information or pictures of your fuming set up?

Thanks, Joe

Unfortunately Joe, no pics. But I can tell you how I did it. You need a lot of wide plastic drop cloth, two sawhorses, some 2x4's, and duct tape. Put a layer of plastic on the ground. I set my benches on top of the plastic. I put a sawhorse on each side and set two 2x4's across the top. I then draped the other drop cloth across the 2x4's and let it hang over the edges. Using the duct tape, I taped the top layer of plastic to the bottom. I spent a lot of time making sure all of the seams were secure. The 29% ammonia packs a surprising punch. You want it contained as much as possible. You also need a respirator with filters made for ammonia. I purchased my setup at woodcraft for a fair price. Leave a section of the plastic open. Slide a 9x13 Pyrex dish through the opening and pour about 1" of ammonia into it. Seal the opening. I place a scrap piece of QSWO into the tent a well. Every hour or so I'll pull it out and check the progress. Once the tone is to my liking, I open my garage door, turn on several fans, and take my tent down. The area clears out within 15-20 minutes. Faster if you have bigger fans. The wood has a depressing, gray-ish tone after fuming. Once you apply a coat of oil, this rich color appears. This project took two coats of BLO, and two coats of dark brown paste wax.

Blog Entries
    The tenons make such a difference over biscuits, and the square pegs are fantastic.

Blog Entries
    Seeing the title, I found myself wondering if the seats were made from the hides of Japanese, German or Italian deer.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Axis Deer originate from India, actually.