Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Felder Band saws

FWIW I have been very happy so far with my Hammer N4400 with the ceramic guides. I thought a lot about going with the Felder FB-510 when I bought my N4400 as it was on sale for IIRC $600 more, but I decided not to as I felt that it would just be more saw than I needed. So far I havent needed anything more than my N4400 for what I do, but I do sometimes wish I would have spent the extra money on the FB-510 just because. That said I like Hammer/Felder a lot and am hoping to purchase a Hammer A3-31 12" jointer/planer combo sometime next year funds allowing.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    FWIW I have been very happy so far with my Hammer N4400 with the ceramic guides.
    The X-life guides are great.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The X-life guides are great.
    I like them a lot so far. I never even tried the euro guides it came with, but I did keep them just in case.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Dave, i just liquidated most of my metal shop in preparation for a move. That's a slippery slope indeed! We talk about weight of band saws (I, too, have an FB510.) but in the 6 metal-working machines I sold there was almost 20,000 lbs.
    Ed

Ed, my weight limit is 6,000 lbs as that is what my forklift can handle and the lathe I'm looking at weighs close to that. Dave

I'm leaving the forklift behind--new weight limit for woodworking will be about +/- 1000 lbs, what my tractor will lift.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kenzior View Post
    The Felder 510/610/710 line of saws are mostly sourced from China with final assembly in Austria. As others have said, they are not built for resawing or high tension. A friend's 610 would get a 1" tri-master to 20k psi with a nearly bottomed spring, and my 710 will go to about 25k psi. Other than the tension complaint, there's very little to complain about with these saws for the $. They're nicely built. The ability to use Felder / Aigner table extensions is really nice. I've used this on multiple occasions to resaw heavy boards. My 710 came with an electric brake which I prefer to the foot brake.
    Old thread, but here I am near ready to purchase an FB 710 so thought I would ask a question.

I asked the Felder Salesman about where the FB 710 was built and I was told that it was completely built in Austria and the motor is built in Germany.. Sound correct?
    Maybe He meant final assembly is in Austria?

I would like to know that also. I have a 610 and it looks very, very similar to an Agazzani. Hopefully somebody can fill in the blanks, but it seems Agazzani sold out about the time Felder started the "10" series of saws. Always wondered if Felder bought Agazzani.

I’m curious too as I just bought a FB710.

Panhans bought the Aggi designs. Qingdao ( google woodfast ) makes many parts and whole machines for many manufacturers. My understanding is they make stuff for Rikon, SCMI ( Chinese market only at this time ) and Felder. QC and supervision are the key as Qingdao cam make some good stuff. It's pretty difficult to lower prices an machines using Euro labor rates so more outsourcing is hitting the Euro ( and US ) manufacturers. Some US and Euro motors are also made in China so it is getting harder to figure out. Some companies do final assembly and add their own electrics after the fact. In Europe that qualifies as " made in ". US has different standards to label products. Dave

Thanks Dave

Thanks for the information, timely as I'm considering a 510.

The appearance of Axminster industrial series is very similar to the Felder FB series, and AX trade series appearance is similar to the Hammer series.

Funny, I was just thinking the Grizzly "Extreme" Series bandsaws look the same as the Axminster Industrial Series ones as well.

I'm guessing they probably all come off the same assembly line.

Hi Charlie, I've had the FB610 for about three years now, having upgraded from a 16 inch, underpowered (1 hp) laguna. It is one of the few purchases that I have never looked back on with regrets of any kind. Felder was really promoting hard when I was looking and so I got the saw for a great price. Just under $3k. The only extra I got was the extension table, which is cleverly designed and works great. The saw is a beast and I really couldn't be any happier. I have a 1 1/4 carbide for resawing, but mostly keep smaller, more versatile blades on it. With the big blade, the saw has been able to resaw everything I've given it, including some 16 inch wide brazzillian cherry, an extremely dense wood. Feel free to PM with specific questions, or if you're in the area (Clemson, SC), I'd be happy to let you see it in operation.
    Last edited by bob cohen; 10-07-2017 at 8:33 PM.