Thread: Traditional Centerboard and Case – Part III - Installation

Traditional Centerboard and Case – Part III - Installation

Previous:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17510

The case is dry positioned and aligned twice – once for hole layout and once for scribing the bed logs to fit the bottom rocker after the hole is cut...

…and sealed.

The case is clamped tightly into poly sealant, the sealant allowed to set up overnight and the clamps removed one by one the next day as they are replaced with screws.

The White Oak end posts are caulked with cotton payed with red lead followed by seam compound to tighten the assembly.

A 5/8” knotty Doug Fir false bottom is laid out…

…installed in a bed of red lead and seam compound…and trimmed (false bottoms can also be left with square edges to protect the garboard seam)…

…and the stainless skid plates reinstalled.

The boat is turned, the thwarts mortised to fit the case, and the mast step is laid out.

Continued…
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

The cut frame ends are braced…

…and the mast and mast step are fitted before installing the thwart. I didn’t like the traditional oak mast step I made and switched to marine plywood, heavily fabric’d and goo’d…here the best material for the job.

All major thwart parts attached to the case are laid out for installation…

…the centerboard pin caps are installed with neoprene gaskets…

…selected functional trim is fitted…

Continued…
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

…only to be removed for final finishing after the thwarts and knees are installed.

Hi Bob, how about alittle background. Are you a boat builder? Just do repair work? Work for yourself? How long? Your boat yard or some one else?
    Boy do I sound nosey, don't mean to know your private life just wondering who is the reciepent of all this beautiful work I always see you doing?

Richard

Bob, fascinating as usual. Sometimes I think boat builders

are the real woodworkers and the rest of us are just pretenders. I say this a little tongue in cheek but I'm really impressed with the things you show us here. Thanks for sharing. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Hi Bob, how about alittle background. Are you a boat builder? Just do repair work? Work for yourself? How long? Your boat yard or some one else?
    Boy do I sound nosey, don't mean to know your private life just wondering who is the reciepent of all this beautiful work I always see you doing?

Richard
    It won't be pretty til its all painted up.

My father was a shipwright, one uncle built work boats, another was a finish carpenter and another had a sawmill on his farm...and I worked for all of them growing up.

I either build one from scratch or restore one each year part time, usually for sale, just to keep my hand in. I buy and resell, however....I'll teach folks how to do it...but I only work for me these days....no more commissions.

This ain't hard....most of y'all just ain't tried it yet...just tedious as everything has to be hand fitted. Lotta hand tool work. The hardest part of the entire project was fitting that simple little artriculated hinge on the CB case.

Bob

Bob, as always, I tremendously enjoy your posts and accompanying pictures showing "the rest of us" how you dexterously do your craft. You are gifted and skilled and add much to this forum. Don't ever stop posting!! Wish I lived closer to Seattle! Thanks!
    Jerry

IMHO, no matter how many times you've had to have done it, cutting a hole in the bottom of a boat has GOT to be somewhat nerve-wracking....

Keith

Moving to Boat Building Forum...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan