Thread: Preliminary Designs for my next project

Preliminary Designs for my next project

At the same time we were doing our kitchen last fall my parents were doing a major remodel to turn a seldom used living room and first floor bedroom into a master suite in their 1860's farmhouse. They also took the tub out in the existing first floor bath and turned it into a 1/2 bath/laundry combo. As a result, their are several cabinets they need. All will be cherry, to match the kitchen I did 3 years ago. The built-ins will all have shaker doors like the kitchen.

First a basic (but tall due to 9' ceilings) wall cabinet over the toilet in the 1/2 bath. This replaces something my dad did in oak with purchased doors in the 80's. Original plan was to just reface it but there's too many issues to make that worthwhile.

Laundry Room Wall Cabinet.jpg

Next, there's a space next to the washer/dryer stack for a small cabinet. In order to provide access for washer/dryer service in the future, it needs to come out easily, so its going on casters. Standard counter height, with 2 big drawers for storage of detergent, softener, etc. Trying to talk them into matching the kitchen counters for the top.

Laundry Room W+D Cabinet.jpg

Next up is a cabinet for the master bath. It goes in a corner between the doors between the bed and bath and the bath and closet so its pretty space-constrained. The bottom will have room for a pair of plastic hampers and the top will have shelves. Mom wants a small hutch area with some lighting for displaying, um...stuff. Again, trying to get them to match the kitchen counters for the top. One think I'm slightly bothered by is that to allow room for the hampers without needing to pull them out to put clothes in them, the counter surface has to be at about 40". I'm thinking it will be OK though as there aren't any other standard counters in the room.

Bathroom Corner.jpg

Lastly, they put in a pedestal sink because they like the look and its not exactly a huge space, but still need some storage and counter space. They did the same in the upstairs bath about 5 years ago and I built a cabinet like this for them in oak. Its more like a small night stand in terms of dimensions. They like it but want one in cherry with slightly smaller dimensions. Mom loves the bun feet I used on the old one. Since its more of a piece of furniture, and the bun feet don't really go with the shaker style, I thinking of making this one with raised panels just like the old one. On this one, I think they are going to go with a faux marble top, or real if we can find a remnant they like. I like the look on the old one.

Bathroom Floor Cabinet.jpg

They also need a bench for the huge walk (or roll if needed in the future)-in shower still working on a design for that, but I'm thinking of making it from Trex or Azek.

Hopefully getting going on these soon as their budget permits--the remodel came in quite a bit higher than planned of course.

It looks like you have your work cut out for you.

For the issue of the 40" counter, you might consider losing the toekick. As designed, the bottom of the hampers is like 5" off the floor, and there's just lost space underneath them. The elevated floor also means that you have to lift the hampers in and out of the enclosure. If they're at the level of the room's floor, you don't get that issue either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For the issue of the 40" counter, you might consider losing the toekick. As designed, the bottom of the hampers is like 5" off the floor, and there's just lost space underneath them. The elevated floor also means that you have to lift the hampers in and out of the enclosure. If they're at the level of the room's floor, you don't get that issue either.
    Forgot to mention that--we need that toekick actually for an electric toe kick heater. Someone didn't listen (several times) to my suggestion that they should install radiant in floor heat then decided that the bathroom is awfully cold. Now the only reasonable solution is a toekick heater since there's no suitable place for an in-wall unit.