Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New workshop thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Loven
    The disadvantages include ... needing to run outside for this or that for some home project...
    This isn't a disadvantage, it is a tool buying opportunity!

With my shop in the basement, I have found that I need to run back and forth from the garage to the shop for basic hand tools. I've come to ther realization that I am going to buy some basic stuff to keep in the shop. An inexpensive all-in-one kit is really all I need for the shop. The same would go for a detached garage shop. Just stock the house with a basic tool box or kit with the tools that you use aound the house.

I was thinking of a two bay garage with a cement floor and a separate room for the shop in the back. I like the idea of a loft for lumber storage, but wouldn't want to put the whole shop up there. I have a lot of wood to burn on the property so was thinking of using a wood burning stove for heat. The location for the shop would be on a slope so I was thinking of putting a walk-out basement under the shop. to keep all of the garden and lawn stuff in. Lots to think about. I have 200 amp box in the house, so was thinking of running a 100 amp sub panel out to the garage/work shop or is that to much? Lou, I like the idea of post and beam. I have two boys who are 18 and 21 who will be home for the summer, maybe I can get them to help, I never seem to have much luck with that on the house though, it seems like I end up doing most of the house, garden, and yard work as it is.
    Scott

Scott, you can't ever have too much power out in your shop. I would not go with more than a 100amp sub with a 200amp main. However, a 100amp will be okay. You are going to need to trench some pretty heavy wire, but having a 100amp sub would be a great advantage!

You would be suprised how easy it would be to overload a 60 amp sub in a shop.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I was thinking of a two bay garage with a cement floor and a separate room for the shop in the back. I like the idea of a loft for lumber storage, but wouldn't want to put the whole shop up there. I have a lot of wood to burn on the property so was thinking of using a wood burning stove for heat. The location for the shop would be on a slope so I was thinking of putting a walk-out basement under the shop. to keep all of the garden and lawn stuff in. Lots to think about. I have 200 amp box in the house, so was thinking of running a 100 amp sub panel out to the garage/work shop or is that to much? Lou, I like the idea of post and beam. I have two boys who are 18 and 21 who will be home for the summer, maybe I can get them to help, I never seem to have much luck with that on the house though, it seems like I end up doing most of the house, garden, and yard work as it is.
    Scott
    Idea age for this type of project. Go for a wood floor in the shop if at all possible. It really makes it nice. Give me a call if you want to talk about the whole thing

860 535 1646 x26

thanks
    lou

A detached, building dedicated only to WWing is ALWAYS betterIMHO but in some cases, there isn't enough $ or space. You're on the right track!!
    Jerry

I have enough space, about 13a with plenty of wood, all on a slope. This picture is a few years old but is the best one I could find here at work. I was hoping to do most of it for $20k. I guess I will need to get some estimates. I would sub out the cement work and hire someone to do the framing and roof work, and the sub panel, and do the rest myself. I did a lot of the house myself, but dont have the time to do everything. Finishing the house has greatly cut into my wood working time!
    Scott

Scott you live in Paradise. Bonus is you have plenty of space and land. Build a dedicated workshop. You'll love it as well as the process of seeing it take shape. I envy you...
    Jerry

Separate Building is better

Scott: knowing the you live in the Alpine Region of Iowa, heating the shop is a real concern. Your area is heavily forrested and wood heat should be available and relatively inexpensive(compared to my area)? I love that area in summer, can`t imagine living there in winter? Those roads would be challenging to say the least.
    I am using my garage 28 X 32 and could not imagine anything else. It is not yet heated, but I intend to install electric heat this fall.
    But any disadvantages of having a separate building will be quickly offset by keepig the LOYL happy.

One Quick question, is the nearest Trout stream within walking distance?
    Last edited by Jim Dannels; 05-05-2005 at 12:22 PM.

I was thinking of a two bay garage with a cement floor and a separate room for the shop in the back. ...
    Scott
    I thought that you said you already had a garage. Why would you want to waste what could be valuable shop space on additional garage space?

Scott I put up a 24 X 40 shop. It is a metal pole building. It has 6 inch walls, 14 inches of insulation in the attic and concrete floors. It has storage plus I keep my wood up in the attic. I heat it with 54,000 btu and A/C it with 5000 btu. I would put in a minimum 100 amp service. I wish now I would have went with 200 amp. Anyway totally wired and finished inside was $17,500. I had the shell put up and did the rest myself and had help from my brother-in-law.

Bernie

My ideal shop design was one that encompassed all of my hobbies in to one. I designed one that worked perfectly on a sloped lot.

Basically a garage with an "EL". The WW shop located in the EL over a walk-out basement. This way you could have a wood floor which is nicer on the feet, and locate all of the dust collection below. This really works well for the DC layout Because the "drops" to each machine are much shorter, and gravity is also working in your favor.

I planned on having the lawn equipment in the basement with double doors for access.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Is there a reason you guys like a more squareish layout as opposed to a rectangular layout?
    Some of this likely has to do with the fact that many folks utilize buildings that are ostensibly 2-car garages (nominally 24' x 24') for a number of reasons, including pre-existence on the property, local codes and covanants and/or resale considerations. Not everyone can build a larger structure on their property even if they wanted to, unfortunately.

I'm lucky...my building is 22' x 44' (exterior) and the shop is 21' x 30' (interior). I'd love it to be another 12' longer but that would require a change in sleeping arrangements and other perquesites...marriage is like that. What I do need to do is better leverage the upper floor...'just need to put a double door on the back end of it to accomodate that need since it's nearly impossible to get anything large up the current stairway from the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

LOML wants me to move everything out of our existing garage so that she can have one half for a mud room, and the other half for her car. I could build the new garage with enough space for a shop if I want to, or just keep my shop in the basement.
    Scott

LOML wants me to move everything out of our existing garage so that she can have one half for a mud room, and the other half for her car. I could build the new garage with enough space for a shop if I want to, or just keep my shop in the basement.
    Scott
    If it were me, I would leave my car outside and just build a shop.