Thread: Maple Cutting Board with dark center

Maple Cutting Board with dark center

I just finished a cutting board using some hard maple and mahogany. I used some Butcher Block finish from the big box. On the mahogany, it looks great. However, on the maple, each block has a large, dark spot in the middle. Could this be spots where the oil hasn't really dried out yet? I have had it sitting in the house on blocks for a few days now and nothing has changed. The dark spots were not there originally.

Thanks!

btw, sorry for the low quality cell shots.
    20130218_081235(sm).jpg

Blog Entries
    I think it looks pretty cool WITH the dark spots. It seems to give it depth and added interest. Plus, the end grain will darken with use no matter what you do.
    Just my opinion.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I had this same issue on some maple cutting boards I made. I attributed it to the edges not soaking up as much oil because of glue asorption. No idea if that is correct or not, though.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to live with it, or my mom will. But, I'm sure she will be happy either way. I was just hoping to get that pretty, white maple to contrast with the mahogany.