Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me save a Bedrock

Help me save a Bedrock

I got the deal of the year today. I found a bedrock 604 1/2 smooth bottom at an antique store for $15. It has no serious structural damage and no deep pitting.

The problem is that the japanning is a little rough. I'm not even sure it is originally japanning, I think someone might have spray painted over whatever was left. The writing cast into the bed isn't standing as high as it should, so there is probably a few too many layers on it. Also there is black paint all over the brass adjustment knob. Someone might have spray painted it years ago without even disassembling it.

I need some way to remove all this japanning and paint so I can repaint it properly (auto paint?). Something cost effective if possible (some kind of solvent?) I can't really afford a sandblasting setup.

Also it's pretty rusty. On my less valuable planes I would just sand down the metal parts with increasingly finer grades of sandpaper. I'm hesitant to do that on this one, I know antique collectors like the patina... But also I'm pretty sure most people buy bedrocks to use them. Do you think it would be okay or ruin its value? Or does it not even matter since I have to repaint it anyway?

EDIT: Here is a photo. I just finished scrubbing it good to get rid of decades of gunk.

Last edited by Jared Walters; 02-18-2013 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Added a photo

First off, let me be the first to tell you that you suck.

There...now that that is taken care of...

Do you know anybody else who can do some sandblasting? I had a neighbor do some for me.

I recently came across a 5 1/2 flat side bedrock that was in terrible shape. I replaced the blade and chip breaker, painted the body with an automotive ceramic engine paint, replaced the tote and knob, and sent the body to Tablesaw Tom to be reground. I cannot begin to tell you how good of a job he does and the plane looks brand new. I have no idea, nor care, what a collector thinks as I plane on keeping the plane.

If I had your plane I would not sand it and I would use a mild paint stripper to remove the excess paint and japanning.

Nah I have lived in this state for less than 2 months, so naturally I don't know my neighbors and I have no friends haha.

However, I noticed some of the paint coming off pretty easily with a wire brush while I was cleaning it. Is there some kind of paint stripper I can use to help it along? Maybe 100% acetone?

All is lost. It is not worth repairing. I'll give you $20 for it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Jared, that is a genuine gloat worthy find that deserves a great big you suck!

My suggestion would be to soak it in some citric acid or acetic acid (AKA vinegar). Of course take it apart first.

This will also cause the rust under the paint to remove some of the paint when it is being dissolved by the mild acid.

If the paint was a rattle can job, you may be lucky in it could be lacquer. If you have some lacquer thinner it would be easy to find out.

For my planes that need repainting an automotive engine enamel is used and works well.

Sometimes the original japanning is on pretty thick and does obscure the cast lettering.

Post some pictures so we can see how it looks now and after.

As far as value is concerned, there are likely as many people who want a Bedrock, especially in the #4-1/2 size, who want a good user not worrying about whether it is all original, collectable or not.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My main concern is that you have absolute clarity that you suck.

Nice score.

I'll give you $20.01
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

I just did a Bedrock 606 that was a 100% rustbucket. I sandblasted it in my blast cabinet, flattened the frog and bed with a mill file, and re-painted the body (where the jappaning is supposed to go) with Rustoleum black hammertone paint. It turned out great. After a good session flattening the sole, I put a new Hock iron and chipbreaker in it, and it works as good as brand new LN or LV plane.

Just so you know, you can purchase asphaltium jappaning product in a can, but it's hardly worth the $60 price tag, imho. Like you said, you're gonna use the plane, so paint it black so you protect those areas from rust, and make some shavings.
    Jeff

Unless there's some problem that the Japanning if causing, I'd just leave it. It'll work fine with chipped Japanning. You can clean up the rest of it and maybe put a modern blade in it.

The 604 1/2 is a valuable plane.

Mike

[If you really want to get rid of the Japanning, I'd sand blast it, then paint it.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If that thing has been painted already, then you really don't have to worry about collector value and what not. Generally collectors place value on unmodified or untampered original piece, not something that's been abused, modified or parts replaced. Blade doesn't appear original to the plane, though. I can't see any marking, but if it's a Stanley blade, those rounded shoulder and top come with later model. Or it's not even Stanley a all. Either way, don't worry about patina and what not. It's not a collector plane to begin with.

I usually repaint old rusty planes with Rustoleum black appliance epoxy paint. Tough and looks good.

I decided to remove the paint since it's not collectable anymore anyway. Plain old paint stripper made short work of it.

You're right about the blade. After cleaning it up I can see the markings. It is a Stanley, but it's marked "Made in England".

I will post pictures tonight when it's finished.

I'd leave it bare and coat it with a thin layer of shellac. That's be great looking. You could call it a rat-rock.

I'm certainly no expert so this question is purely out of curiosity but did some of the Bedrocks have that orange STANLEY lever cap?

I was curious too so I looked it up. It was normal on the type 9 and 10 planes.

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm