Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me save a Bedrock

I have a number of Bedrocks and other Stanley/Bailey planes. I have never repainted any of them. If necessary they get soaked in citric acid and otherwise cleaned up; occasionally I'll flatten a sole and maybe add a Hock iron, and then they get put back to work. Other than repairs, I normally don't do much to totes and knobs, either.

Wow! That was a deal you got there! A local dealer has one for sale for about $350. Yours is in much better shape. Personally I think my local dealer is nuts, collector plane or not, a bucket of rust is a bucket of rust!
    FWIW: If I was going to strip that plane and repaint it, I would probably use walnut media or plastic beads. I think that sand is a little too harsh for something like that.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Blog Entries
    A local dealer has one for sale for about $350.
    During the Great Depression a man was on a corner selling apples. His sign said, "Apples $1 Million Each." A passer by commented you aren't going to sell many apples at that price. The apple vendor replied, "I only have to sell one."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    During the Great Depression a man was on a corner selling apples. His sign said, "Apples $1 Million Each." A passer by commented you aren't going to sell many apples at that price. The apple vendor replied, "I only have to sell one."
    jtk
    Ha! That must be the philosophy of just about every person in the Milwaukee area with a couple of old tools for sale. Crooked molders for $90, seen a Stanley combo plane with a $1400 price tag (and I believe it sold). I think most of these folks see an excellent to perfect example go on the bay for a chunk of change and they think that their twisted/rusted/beat up piece can fetch just as much. Had a standard #4 with a $250 tag on it, the seller was trying to tell everyone that it was the Heavy model. It clearly wasn't. That plane isn't there any more, don't know if they moved it to a different store (lots of sellers operate in 2 or more places) or if it sold. Should I start with the $50+ saw described as: "Signed by Henry Disston"?

From what I know, the lady has had the bedrock for sale for about 2 years. She has had offers of $250, and flatly refused. Personally, I think the buyer that offered $250 was being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    Ha! That must be the philosophy of just about every person in the Milwaukee area with a couple of old tools for sale. Crooked molders for $90, seen a Stanley combo plane with a $1400 price tag (and I believe it sold). I think most of these folks see an excellent to perfect example go on the bay for a chunk of change and they think that their twisted/rusted/beat up piece can fetch just as much. Had a standard #4 with a $250 tag on it, the seller was trying to tell everyone that it was the Heavy model. It clearly wasn't. That plane isn't there any more, don't know if they moved it to a different store (lots of sellers operate in 2 or more places) or if it sold. Should I start with the $50+ saw described as: "Signed by Henry Disston"?

From what I know, the lady has had the bedrock for sale for about 2 years. She has had offers of $250, and flatly refused. Personally, I think the buyer that offered $250 was being generous.
    Not at all hard to believe. I routinely see plain old Baileys in antique stores for over $90. In fact I don't think I have ever seen one in restored condition for less than $100. I will take the $15 rusty one at the next booth and spend a couple hours cleaning any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Walters View Post
    Not at all hard to believe. I routinely see plain old Baileys in antique stores for over $90. In fact I don't think I have ever seen one in restored condition for less than $100. I will take the $15 rusty one at the next booth and spend a couple hours cleaning any day of the week.
    No kidding. I found a rusty old #5 Bailey on the Bay. . .it was a blast to recondition and clean up. And well worth the $25 I spent (including shipping). I should take a picture of it and get the picture off the Bay listing. . .the brass and nickel stuff shines now and looks purdy.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    No kidding. I found a rusty old #5 Bailey on the Bay. . .it was a blast to recondition and clean up. And well worth the $25 I spent (including shipping). I should take a picture of it and get the picture off the Bay listing. . .the brass and nickel stuff shines now and looks purdy.
    It's way more satisfying than I ever imagined it would be. I see so many planes sold as "rustic decor" because people think they're useless. It's nice to feel like you saved a piece of history from being thrown in the trash, rusted away in a box, or placed on a shelf in some yuppie apartment and then thrown away when they get bored with it. It's likely that these old planes were an important part of someone's livelihood or even used to support their families.

Blog Entries
    It's way more satisfying than I ever imagined it would be.
    Oh oh, sounds like we may be seeing some more pictures in the future. When the bug bites, it bites deep.

Using the tools that have been restored in my shop over the years is also very satisfying. Occasionally even a nice piece of woodworking comes out of it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Oh oh, sounds like we may be seeing some more pictures in the future. When the bug bites, it bites deep.

Using the tools that have been restored in my shop over the years is also very satisfying. Occasionally even a nice piece of woodworking comes out of it.

jtk
    Oh it already has bitten. This is the 4th plane I have cleaned up (as well as 2 saws) in a month.

I see no problem with repainting planes if they are in bad shape. I would not repaint one just for the fun of it! I wrote up some full instructions on my blog. Check it out here if you like.

http://thechristiantoolcabinet.wordp...ration-tuning/

I repainted several this way (they were in sad shape before) and I have been very happy with them. They look great. good luck!
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    Ha! That must be the philosophy of just about every person in the Milwaukee area with a couple of old tools for sale.
    You're right that finding reasonably priced hand tools in Milwaukee is tough. The best place to do it is a once a year event that happens to be coming up this Sunday: the MWTCA area B tool meet at 8 AM at 3476 E Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    You're right that finding reasonably priced hand tools in Milwaukee is tough. The best place to do it is a once a year event that happens to be coming up this Sunday: the MWTCA area B tool meet at 8 AM at 3476 E Howard.
    I wish I could make it. I'd enjoy meeting some other hand tool users around here. But alas, I must take care of work obligations on Sunday.
    Work should never get in the way of hobbies and interests

I haven't stripped the paint of any Stanley's, but the other planes I have done were stripped with lacquer thinner. It work fast.

I do not plan on selling any of my tools, so I restore them to what I like. I derust (if its not rusted its probably more than I want to pay), strip, sand, and sand and sand, polish, paint and wax. I just like the look and feel of polished steel. Working on a bedrock now. Probably when I die and my kids are selling off my tools someone will say "that would be worth a lot of money if he hadn't restored it", and my girls will reply "Yep, I'm sure he knew that when he did it. He made it what he wanted and never did care what anyone else thought... You want to buy a lightly used house with a well used shop?"

Years back i sanded and polished the sides of my iron planes only to find that they rusted very easily and discolored my fingers when working oak. Now if i find a plane i want to rehab, i will scrape off any heavy rust with a razor blade and leave the rest as is. I will clean the sole though. Its far less maintenance - Planes and chisels that already have a coat of rust/tarnish dont beg to be wiped down and babied every time i use them and this is fine by me!