Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isn't she lovely?(slider gloat)

Think I noticed that one on CL too. You pick it up in suburban Philadelphia? The hold down bar would've been a nice addition.

Good score either way.

Was there any smoke coming from the building as they loaded you up? Wow, nice deal, a Martin slider for the price of the scrap weight. Congrats and enjoy. I'm presently the same color as your new saw.

Blog Entries
    Nice saw. I don't want one; I just wish I had the space in my shop required for a saw like that.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Nice get! Welcome to the Martin club! I have 3 of their saws, but have owned 5 . I personally think the older T75 has the nicest lines and like using it the best, but there is something to be said for some of the more user friendly improvements of the newer saws. I have looked at a lot of saws, nothing, but nothing is built like, or works like a Martin.
    Enjoy!
    peter
    I agree Peter. I had a brand new SCM SI 15 in the mid 80s. Sold that and bought a 1968 T-75 for around $3500. The 75 was better in every respect. Ran it hard for 20 years and sold it for about the same price to a shop down the road. It still runs well. The newer ones do have some nice features but like you say just something about the T75.

Great Find Johnny!

Great score! Worth to gloat! Goodluck on that!a

Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks like a T78 without the tilting arbor. A wonderful saw for square edge panels, but limited. Our T75 is the workhorse of our shop, sure to outlast me as long as the ways are kept lubricated.

Yes, the T78 doesn't have a tilting arbor. This works for me, I had my SCMI for about 5 years and never made a bevel cut on it. Of course, I'm fortunate to also have a cabinet saw and a track saw both, of which I prefer for bevel cuts. The upside to a non bevel saw is uncompromised dust collection. Without the need for a tilting trunnion, the arbor can be located in a sealed compartment within the base.

Congratulations, nice score at a great price. I miswrote, we have a T71 of 1984 vintage, the tilting arbor version of your saw. Paid $8500 which we felt was a fair bargain.Our saw has an oil reservoir in the carriage to lube the ways, but one side for whatever reason doesn't get oiled, so we apply oil manually to that side weekly, and inject oil into the trunnion ports at the back of the saw regularly with the supplied gun. We have had excellent support from Ed Papa at Simantech who has been selling the Martin line for at least 30 years. Enjoy.

Wow...congratulations, Johnny! That's a real score. Lots of "mass" in those Martin machines!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

congrats on the buy. that's a very impressive saw. it'd fit well in my shop, if it weren't for the shop's walls getting in the way and the floor not being large enough. geez, that thing's HUGE!

That ranks as one of the best bargains I've seen in a long time.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.