Thread: Win 98 compatability mode for Win 7?

Question Win 98 compatability mode for Win 7?

Hi all,

I have an ANCIENT LMI SE225C that requires Win 98 to run it's driver. Obviously, that is pretty agonizing . It means we have to use Rhino 3, which has limited capabilities.

We are getting a new machine to run another CNC machine and I was wondering if we could run a printer driver in Win98 compatability mode? Anyone ever try anything like this?

tx,

dh

As far as I know you can't use a window 98 driver on windows 7, Windows 7 has an XP compatibility mode.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Even that doesn't always work. You may have to run something like VMware and load win98 on it.

my vote is for vmware as well. Or buy a beater, and install 98 on it and isolate it from your other machines. This is the path I would follow.
    Paul

We have a 98 machine running the laser now, but lots of issues with that. No USB supp

we got usb to work with win98 using an addin card fairly easily. find one that still supports legacy drivers.
    Paul

... Sorry - stupid phone...

No USB support, no decent security, agonizing speed, but mainly, we can't use Rhino 4.

So does win XP or 2000 let you run driver in 98 comp. mode?

VMware is great but it needs to be checked whether the external equipment connectivity will work.
    Out of the box some USB devices will work, some won't. All devices will work with Horizon View but it ain't free, nor even cheap.

VirtualBox if free and it might work if the hardware can be run under WinNT.

Considering the hassle I would follow Paul's suggestion - an old, dedicated machine.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Quote Originally Posted by Declan Halpin View Post

So does win XP or 2000 let you run driver in 98 comp. mode?
    Yes, but there are gotchas.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion