Thread: Vise opinions?

Vise opinions?

I'm putting together a work bench for a friend who's getting started. In the interest of quick and efficient, I plan on putting in a metal (or similar) vise in the tail position. On my short list of what looks good and at the right price point for a beginner, I have:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Quic...se-7-Jaw/D4327
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cabi...r-s-Vise/H7788
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...&ProdId=40419& (there's a couple at the local woodcraft)

Has anyone used any of these? Can you comment on their quality? Any other that should be on my list that I've over-looked?

At this point, I'm leaning toward the Pony as it is made in the USA and I can get over the non-quick release by spacing the dog holes closer together, but I don't want to be rationalizing so I end up with the cheap vise.

I've never used any of them, but given that I added wooden jaws anyway, I'd be tempted to go with the second one. I used a Jorgensen on my bench because I got a good deal on it, but I'd probably go with something like your second one if I was doing it all over again.

I wouldn't sweat the quick-release. Nice if you've got it, sometimes, but it's not a deal breaker. There's actually been a few times I wish I didn't have quick-release, simply because using the vise as a spreader might be nice sometimes. Certainly, at least the way I work, there's not that often that I'm going between two radically different settings of the vise, so most of my time cranking the handle is just to slip the same piece in and out, so more than half the time I'm turning that handle, I don't even engage the quick release.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I've got one like the second one and like it, but I only have a face vise at this point.

Blog Entries
    I've used a 9" record style on the tail for a few years. I tried different things, but have always returned to this tried and true system. That said, I also use one for the front that is 10 1/2" inch. I used to have a leg vise, but I won't return to that, I really like this system much better. After watching Paul Sellers for awhile now, I could see how it could be so quick and handy - and in my opinion, he's right. Very happy with the setup I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thornock View Post
    I've got one like the second one and like it, but I only have a face vise at this point.
    Hows the racking? Were I to mount it in the tail position, about how far from the edge would the screw fall?

I actually plan on using a leg vise for the face. I've worked on metal vises before and I hate, hate them in the face position. I find them difficult to work material vertically (tenons, dovetails) or edge jointing.

Of course in a perfect world, I'd have 2 benches and have a wagon, leg, shoulder, emmert, and twin screw all mounted up.

If your friend does not already have a machinist's vise, I'd go with #3.
    Even in the best of shops, metal-working does happen.

Do make wooden jaws for him though.
    AKA - "The human termite"

If you were closer, mine might be a deal for you.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/3605368531.html

I picked up a 7 inch Rockler vise last year on sale at a similar price to the Pony one you looked at and it works fine. It slides easy to make gross adjustments. I am in process of putting in the wooden jaws.

You said "tail position" in your question... or do you mean to use it as a tail vice?

If you intend to use it as a tail vice, then I would do a wagon vice instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Radtke View Post
    Has anyone used any of these? Can you comment on their quality? Any other that should be on my list that I've over-looked?

At this point, I'm leaning toward the Pony as it is made in the USA and I can get over the non-quick release by spacing the dog holes closer together, but I don't want to be rationalizing so I end up with the cheap vise.
    Don't get the shop fox. It's junk. I used it as an end vise on a bench and it is garbage. Most any vise will do, quick release is ok, but not neccessary. Just make sure that you either have your dogs in line with the center of the vise, or dont offset it a huge amount.

I am building a bench this week and opted for a vintage vise. I got it cheap and restored it, but that's not foe everyone.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."