Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilding power tools philosophy

I enjoy working with steel and alum. I build CNCs and other machines. I do it for myself and to use the tools myself or to help friends and to teach myself new things. Its a world different when you are doing it to not make money but to save money.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I see it pretty much as Jeff does. I like old machinery but I want it in maintained non abused condition .Dont care about repainting with exact original color and don't want any thing that has been used for an anvil and rewelded. Many of the old machines are better than new ones. Yes there is some new technology.There are also good things not used anymore,like Mechanite. I started working in mid 1960s and all the saws had riving knives. The only thing different is they are now on dinky saws too. Thats not technology ,its liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The technology of power tools continues to advance, albeit slowly. Most people will want tools with the new technology which depresses the price of the older tools without that technology. In table saws, the significant new technology is riving knives and flesh sensing technology. If you old saw does not have that, it's going to be less desirable, unless someone just wants it for an antique collection.

The problem with rebuilding anything - a tool, a car, whatever - is that when you're finished what you wind up with is an old product.
    Mike

I totally agree with Mike on this. With the advent of the Sawstop's flesh sensing technology all other tablesaws essentially became obsolete and a commercial liability. At least for schools and commercial shops that have to provide liablity insurance. That technology change alone has rendered thousands of formerly top of the line tablesaws essentially worthless except to the hobby market. And the hobby market is not likely to pay top dollar for anything.

I have a philosophy about the tools in my hobby shop. Some of my tools were bought new, some used, and some very abused and not functional. I generally decide I need a specific tool and look for a useable used version on CL and eBay. After some time of searching if I haven't found an acceptable tool I'll start looking at both new and badly distressed versions. Then I'll make the decision on new versus a restoration and buy something.

Another point to mention is what I mean by restoration. I simply don't care about the historical accuracy of the colors, functions, and features of the machine. I want it to work and do what I need the machine to do. I use the closest rattle can color to what was on the machine, make parts that are needed to do what I want to do, fix defects (wiring, bearings, and the like) and then put the machine into service. My hobby is woodworking and not machine repair.

There aren't any major machines in my shop that I've not modified in one way or the other. That includes new machines, used machines, or distressed machines.

The way I look at it is my heirs can deal with the value of the machine when I'm dead, but until then the machine is needed to work for me.
    Wood'N'Scout

When I rebuild an old machine I do it because its a really cool , old machine and I enjoy bringing it back to life and seeing it function again. I could never sell it for what I put into it, but thats not even a consideration for me personally.

I'm with Steve. All of the stationary tools in my shop were bought used, some well abused. I got them for cheap, sometimes even for free. I only got machines that I intended to keep, so I never thought much about how much time it took to make them functional again, but I never got carried over the top either about using only OE parts, paint, etc. I have a Unisaw painted green, because I hate that grey color, with a Vega Pro fence on it. I have a Dewalt RAS that I removed from the stock base and bolted to a custom built steel frame because it better fit my needs. On and on. Some of those machines are now over 25 years old, and I'll buy more if I need one and the price is right. I love when new technology makes these old machines obsolete. That makes them even cheaper for folks like me to buy.

A side note: The Sawstop looks like a great invention. But I can't begin to count the photos people have posted of their machine with no blade guard in sight. Only a fool would rely on technology to save his hand. I would bet money that someone is going to sue Sawstop when they get hurt after not having the guard on.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I am starting to change philosophies on rebuilding power tools that won't be kept forever. After seeing how low Matt had to resell his Unisaw he took hours and hours to rebuild, it doesn't seem worth it to disassemble every part, clean, and paint them when potential buyers won't even bid high enough to cover the cost of the paint, let alone the time. Guess my philosophy hence forward will be to put in new bearings, consumable parts, lubricate, and give a lick and a promise.
    Many different viewpoints from different folks with different interests and goals.

Don't forget it is Tax Refund time now. I have sold machinery advertised since last summer in the past few weeks. Right now there is some discretionary income amongst us, money is spent on things we would not normally buy. This year's fun spending is not a tool for me....only a BIG flat screen HDTV for SWMBO! Still a great investment, I'd say!

Moreso than here at SMC, the boys over at OWWM spend their money and tons of time to enjoy a pristine old machine. Most will go to their grave with a barn full of old ARN; most of which will never produce much woodworking. There is "pride of ownership." There are we el cheapo / bottom feeder collectors of old machinery, and then there are the high-end types who insist on perfection and are willing to pay for it. Case in point, Jay Lenno and his vast collection of automobiles. Although he may dabble in a restoration, Jay spends big bucks to contract professional car restorers to meet his every requirement. These professionals cater to clients same as cabinet shop owners do. These for hire may have started out with a burning love for auto restoration or woodworking, BUT now it is their job! This is how they make their living.

I had a deep interest in all things "railroad" in my youth thru 20's. But, after hiring out as a railroad brakeman in the '70s, being on call 24/7, working in any kind of weather, and being laid off too often, I soon lost my hobby interest. Only now after being retired 5 years, am I regaining my appreciation of things *railroad*. I will split my time between woodworking and model railroading with my grandsons now.

There are those who restore woodworking machinery for pleasure and to preserve these examples for yet another generation. (1935 Delta four-footer Unisaw, only driven on Sundays)

There are those who patch up old machinery to help their bottom line. No attention to detail as long as it works to their expectations. (I refuse to keep an old machine in that "generic, industrial baby poop green" for very long)

There are those who reject old machinery as a waste of time and money. (I suppose I wish I had enough $$$ to buy state-of-the-art TOYS!)

Buying new does enable new technology that saves time and limits liability. Although they may have an appreciation for Old ARN, these are heads-up business men. New tablesaw technology falls mainly into the safety/liability category as of now. You cannot re-invent the wheel. A better example would be CNC technology for repeatable accuracy. Cookie Cutter, yes, but on an industrial scale, CNC helps the bottom line hugely. I love seeing and hearing about JD Rutter's computerized shaper setup. Now that is the best of both worlds. JD does seem to balance his *business* woodworking with his enjoyment of all other things *woodworking* (sorry to shout you out JD)

Old saying: "Familiarity breeds contempt." True, so true! .....and another; When "you cannot see the forest for the trees" just camp out in the desert for a while.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-13-2013 at 3:24 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Many different viewpoints from different folks with different interests and goals.

There are those who restore woodworking machinery for pleasure and to preserve these examples for yet another generation. (1935 Delta four-footer Unisaw, only driven on Sundays)

There are those who patch up old machinery to help their bottom line. No attention to detail as long as it works to their expectations. (I refuse to keep an old machine in that "generic, industrial baby poop green" for very long)

Great perspectives Chip, and thanks for not saying too much about the model railroading (I'm trying to suppress my interest- I'm from a B&O family).

One other perspective on old machines is to get the functionality up to speed, but to keep the patina from past use. I have an old Delta "school" lathe, and two old Delta HD "prison" shapers, and they all work great, but the last thing I would want to do is wipe away the patina from decades of use; with each user leaving his mark on the machine in some way. Of course, if the paint is too far gone, this won't work, but otherwise, I like the old paint that shows the history of the machine.