Thread: Baby Crib finishes

Baby Crib finishes

To all, thank you in advance for taking the time to help me. I am building a baby crib for my daughter that is due in early July. My in laws are very vocal about there not being plywood in the crib, the glue not have bad off gas, and that the finish be baby safe with no off gasing. They are paying for the supplies for the crib so I have to apease them. I am sure Titebond is going to be good for the glue off gasing problem but I am not sure what finish to use. I have tried looking this up on the site search but I have bad luck with computers and searches. What I did find is that catalyzed laquers and shellacs should be baby safe but in regards to them chewing on it. What is the off gasing in regards to these two? Is there a better / safer finish? I told the wife we could use lead paint but for some reason she shook her head and walked away. The wood type is maple and lacewood.

As a side note. During the ultra sound the lady asked us what we wanted, boy or girl. I said I didnt care because either way I need slave labor. Well one of the pictures we took soon after she was fliping me off. She is so going to chew me up and spit me out. Hopefully she will take to helping me with milling wood on my Woodmizer lt10 and with wood working projects.

Thanks,
    Karl

All finishes sold in the USA are safe once they have completely cured. Lead was the problem; hasn't been available in the good old USA since ~1978. If you buy your paint from China all bets are off.

Shellac and lacquer don't actually cure (catalyzed lacquers do) the solvent evaporates and that's it, what's left is shellac or lacquer.

Varnishes (oil-based) are reactive finishes, they cure after the thinner has evaporated. Curing is a reaction to exposure to oxygen in the air. Typical curing takes ~30 days depending on the temp and humidity. Off gas is the by-product of the curing. Plenty of air flowing over the surface will speed the curing. Closed in drawers, cabinets, etc. will off gas for months. Better to use a water-borne or shellac on the drawer interiors.

If you finish the crib by June 1st you should be fine. the off gassing will be done. Varnish is more durable than most WB finishes, shellac and regular lacquer. Catalyzed lacquers are very durable. Many of the water-borne are so-so; a few are excellent. They are no more or less toxic when completely dry than varnish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.