I've been using my Grizzly G0691 table saw with a Honda 240 volt generator for a couple of days. After converting one of my extension cords to plug into the generator (6-20P to L14-30P). The first day that I used it I noticed that I would have to hold the switch in for an extra second or two to let the mag switch engage and keep the saw running. I'm not sure if the had an effect, but let it also be noted that this was being done in an unheated shop in Minnesota where it was probably 10-20 degrees at the time (heat has since been added).
The second day that I tried to use the saw, it would not turn on at all. So, I took the switch cover off to see if I could see anything obvious. I noticed on the switch that there was a blue bar accross one portion of the switch mechanism. So, I plugged it in and pushed the button. The saw turned on, but that switch has to be held in for the saw to keep running. So, I continued and am still using it in that manner (clamping that portion of the switch to keep the saw running).
The next day I called Grizzly to see what the problem was and what I would need to do to get my saw operating properly again. The saw is about 2 years old, so past the warranty period, so I gave it to them straight and let them know I was using a generator to power the saw. The Customer Service Rep's response was "the saw is not designed to be powered by a generator." So, he proceeded to tell me that I needed to replace the entire magnetic switch (everything under the cover). I asked if I could just get the on/off switch (portion directly behind the green ON button), but he said that I needed the entire thing and they don't even carry just the on/off switch. The entire switch is $155 plus tax and shipping so probably at least $170 by the time it gets to my door.
Knowing that I would continue to have to run the saw off the generator for the near future, I said thanks, but I'll pass on the part for now and keep running it as is (also hoping that I can maybe get just the on/off switch if that is indeed the problem or trouble shoot it more). The CSR also said that I could potentially damage the motor if I continue to run it off the generator. So, I asked how much a new motor would cost. $300. So, I'm already down the $170, and potentially $300 if my motor doesn't hold up. I don't really have a choice right now but to run it this way as I have a bathroom vanity and entire set of kitchen cabinets to build for my recently purchased house.
Anyways, after that long explanation, has anyone else had similar experiences or have any thoughts on this?
Thanks for any help or advice,