Thread: New here, have a few questions

New here, have a few questions

Long time diy woodworker, new to cabinet work/high quality finish demands.

Built new kitchen cabinet faces from poplar and maple plywood. They look great, tight joints, etc. This was the easy part. Now it's time to finish the job.

The original plan was to paint them with latex semi gloss in light gray for top cabinets and a slightly darker gray for the lowers and the baseboards. Interior colors to be white tinted slightly to a lighter gray than the cabinet doors.

I have decided it's time to try a grown up finish. I am looking at the little Rockler HVLP unit in as much as I can't really justify the expense of a larger unit as school/ work responsibilities are going to keep me pretty much out of the workshop over the next 3 years.

I am looking for suggestions, other than latex paint, on a 'system' to finish my project.

Sealer, primer, .......................

Oil based paint?
    Tinted lacquer?
    Other?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Loren

Welcome Loren.

I'm a fan of Pratt and Lambert Accolade paint. Flows out very nice. A P&L general purpose primer under it works fine.

Todd

Forgot to mention I have a 240V compressor capable of 9.8 cfm at 90 psi, 40gallon tank if a better option would be one of the conversion guns. I sort of like this idea in some ways if the results are as easily achieved as with a true HVLP turbine system.

One other caveat I should have mentioned is that the only space I have to work is either in the house (any overspray and I get kenneled with the Boston Terriers) or the 3 car garage (safer as I LIKE sleeping in the bed). It is pretty chilly in the garage but I would be wiling to either wait until it warms up or rent a heater and heat the garage.

Loren

Another option would be Target brand EM6000 or EM8000 tinted to the color you want.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 02-22-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Loren, +1 for Scott's post, a tinted wb clear will be much more durable than a latex and look a lot better too. Your compressor is about the same size as mine and I have no problems using an HVLP conversion gun. Puts a nice finish on too. I live in a cool climate and usually plan on doing my finishing when the weather warms some.

*I've had a turbine unit and my personal preference is a conversion gun.
    Last edited by Bill Neely; 02-22-2013 at 2:32 AM.

Hi Loren,

A slightly different take on Scott's post, you could use Target CoatingsEM6500 White Base Coat, and either tint that to the grey colors you want, or you might be able to mix it with EM6600 Black Base Coat, which would be easier if they are compatible. Here's a link: http://targetcoatings.com/products/s...base-coat.html Then you could topcoat it with EM6000. Another option is to use one of General Finishes white/black primers, white/black poly, paint primers, or milk paint tint base and then topcoat, where required, with one of their compatible products: http://www.generalfinishes.com/profe...ented-topcoats Any of these products can be sprayed with an HVLP gun running off your compressor. IMO, an HVLP gun, or two, will give you a more versatile spray system than the Rockler turbine, and at lower cost. I use cheap guns like those sold at Woodcraft, Grizzly, etc. and they spray beautifully. You really don't want to spray in your house, with any system w/o some sort of spray booth and exhaust system. Your garage would be a better option once the weather is warm enough for the finishes to flow/cure properly. Many of these WB products have minimum temps., below which they will not cure properly. I spray WB products year round in my basement workshop, using a nearly zero cost temp. spray booth and exhaust fan that goes out a window. It assembles/disassembles in 10 minutes.

John

Thanks all for the advice. The truly great news is that my local paint dealer carries the EM6500 product locally. Less than 10 minutes from my home. He carries both the light and medium tint base and he has great things to say about this product. He tends to be a wee bit skeptical on most non-corporate products.

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.

Loren