Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbide inserts from Captain Eddie...

Really doesn't take any special skills to make 'em (even I can do it). All you need is some bar stock from the local hardware store, an angle grinder with cutoff and grinding wheels, a drill, drill bit and tap for the size screw you want (I think 10-24 works great for most applications). Takes far longer to make the wooden handle than the metal part.

BTW, I've purchased those cup-like cutters from carbide depot (like the Hunter tools), and made my tool so that the cup is angled slightly back towards the handle. It makes beautiful final shear cuts! I put one on a swan neck hollower I made, and it finishes the inside of vessels very nicely too.

Hey Jeff I have a few cutters on order from Eddy. Can you be a little more specific about the ones you got from Carbide Depot. The site is a little confusing to me as far as what angle and diameters go?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Make My Own

I initially purchased a set of the midi EW tools but then I decide to make my own. This full size EW style round finisher was my first one, it uses the EW larger round carbide. I then decide to try a larger square carbide with a radius edge, this one from Global Tooling(10th one down-can't beat the price), I now have two of them that use the same size carbide, one in the EW midi size and one full size. I have found that the radius-ed carbide is also a good finisher so I rarely use the round one anymore.

Edit: The first one I made from 1/2" square cold rolled from a local metal supply. The rest I ordered some 1/2" 304 stainless from Amazon in 8" lengths and use it. I didn't like having to polish off the black coating on the cold rolled to give it a finished look.
    Last edited by James Combs; 02-23-2013 at 8:25 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Our turning group has been making these tools for several years. One friend figured out you could make a perfect fit for the cutter by placing some JB weld on the flat and very lightly screwing down on your waxed cutter. Let harden and you should have a true blade base like forever.
    That's pure genius!
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

The following link is for the standard, positive rake, flat top, woodturning inserts. Choose your size.
    http://www.carbidedepot.com/wood-turning.aspx

This is the parts number for the inserts that are cup-like on top, and provide a nice shear cut:
    RCGT1204M0FX CU313
    Just look it up on thier site.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    The following link is for the standard, positive rake, flat top, woodturning inserts. Choose your size.
    http://www.carbidedepot.com/wood-turning.aspx

This is the parts number for the inserts that are cup-like on top, and provide a nice shear cut:
    RCGT1204M0FX CU313
    Just look it up on thier site.

Jeff
    In speaking with Jeff (from Carbide Depot), he stated they do not carry a flat top round cutter and that all of their round cutters are cupped like the Hunter tool.

John, now I am really confused, this does happen quite easily to me!
    Are you saying that the RCGT1204MOFX CU313 are cupped like the Hunter Tools?
    Pete

Pete, I actually ordered some of the inserts, but by mistake got the 8mm when I meant to get the 12mm. They are RCGT0803M0 FX CU313, from the same page as the RCGT1204MO FX CU313, with the only difference being the size. They are cupped just like the Hunter cutters and are not fully countersunk for a screw as are the EWT and similar cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    BTW, I've purchased those cup-like cutters from carbide depot (like the Hunter tools), and made my tool so that the cup is angled slightly back towards the handle. It makes beautiful final shear cuts! I put one on a swan neck hollower I made, and it finishes the inside of vessels very nicely too.
    Jeff, would it be possible to post a photo of the mounted cutter on this tool? Also, I have heard the Hunter tools are difficult to get the hang of. How do you find using these are different from the EWT-type tool?

11. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Pete, I actually ordered some of the inserts, but by mistake got the 8mm when I meant to get the 12mm. They are RCGT0803M0 FX CU313, from the same page as the RCGT1204MO FX CU313, with the only difference being the size. They are cupped just like the Hunter cutters and are not fully countersunk for a screw as are the EWT and similar cutters.
    John.......when ordering these, do you order 1 pack that has 5 cutters or does it mean order 5 at a time as a minimum? It says sold in packs of 5, but in the quantity when put in the cart it has 5 listed..........not sure if I would get 25 of these if I clicked on to order? I have been wanting to replace the cutter on my Hunter tool and my Monster carbide cutter tip, so this sounds ideal if the 12mm are the right size?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, when I entered 5, I ended up with just 5 in my cart. If you mess up, you can edit your cart so it shouldn't be an issue. I don't own a Hunter tool, so I can't advise on the correct size.

Capt. Eddie's bars may not be the prettiest, but I've just ordered 2 with round and rounded square cutters. After all, the cutter is what is important. I've made my square cutter tool with good results.
    He's a great advocate for our craft, and I support his efforts.
    Lookin' forward to having my new Capt. Eddie tools.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.