Thread: Treasured piece or not

Treasured piece or not

So I picked up a piece of oak from an estate sale. Just wondering if I have something that maybe is sort of rare, I personally have never seen something this wide @ 19". Also kind of wondering what would make great use of this piece. I would imagine a carving would be nice however I do not possess these skills.

2013-02-22_09-48-59_923.jpg

How thick is it? I guess you could do a relief carving of some sort on it, but it looks fairly thin for carving. Also looks to be maybe two to two and half feet long? Not too difficult to find a piece of oak that wide and that short. If it was 19" wide by 12' long or something, that would be harder to come by, but still not out of the ordinary.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what others will say, but oak that size is not all that rare, plus it has knotty place on it too. I hope you did not pay a premium price for it. How thick is it? I can't really tell from the photo. It might make a nice table top, but it might warp over time. I think I would rip it down the middle, flip one piece and glue it back together to help prevent warping. Maybe even make 3 pieces out of it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-22-2013 at 2:33 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

19" wide anything is nice to have. Particularly valuable? No.
    Oak, however, is pretty stable. I would use it as the top for a table. Leave the knot. It's like Cindy Crawford's mole...