Thread: Dust reduction in a handtool shop

Dust reduction in a handtool shop

So I don't much use power tools, and the rare trip to the bandsaw in my garage includes hooking up the DC.

I'm finding that even hand sanding is setting of sinus headaches.
    What dust control/air filtration devices are effective?

The basic box and filter is readily available, but they're spendy.

I can't really open a window, this time of year...

I would be particularly interested in homebrew particulate filters.

im the oposite . il use power tools ost of the time and raraly use hand tools if i can avoid it.
    i have a jet air filter. it does a great job of catching what my plumbed in dc doesnt extract.
    i think a down draft table would help for your hand sanding.

That's a good idea.

I already own a shop vac - that could be fitted pretty easily.
    Browsing the prior submissions here at the Creek point to capturing dust at the source.

I built a frame with some Mahogany last week and had a headache nearly two days after sanding.
    That was the only thing I could think had set me off. Time to wear a mask, too I suppose.

Thanks for the idea, it's eminently practical and simpler to implement than what I was considering.

A cheap box fan fitted with some filter material works well. Set it on your bench facing away from you and your workpiece.

Get yourself a HF dust collector, hose and accessories. Then devise and mount the DC ports to your handsaw, brace/egg beater drills, planes and router plane. ()

All kidding aside - get an air scrubber. Grizzly sells them for about $250.00. A variable speed one is nice.

Jim,

FWIW, I've been looking at building a downdraft table for dust collection while sanding, whether hand or power, even with dust collection on the sander. I dislike wood-boogers. <g> Reading up on the topic the issue seems to be the limited size of table you can make that will move the volume and handle the SP drop drawing the air through the sanding holes.

For background, I'm in the process of upgrading from a Jet DC1100 to a ClearVue Cyclone, so will soon have a "spare" Jet.

I've been talking with Bill Pentz about this and now plan to install the blower from the Jet in the base of a downdraft table, discharging the blower into the Clearvue duct inlet. The intent is that when sanding both blowers would be running.

From discussions with Bill, this should provide a substantial increase in air flow, assuming that the time is taken to avoid overcurrent on either motor. To this end, blast gates will be installed before and after the Jet blower. These will be tuned to modulate the load on each blower.

Just one guy's $0.02.. FYI.. YMMV.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I built this filter before there were commercial ones that hang from the ceiling. Rather than just build a filter box, it was made as an extension of my work bench, and the extra space was filled with drawers. Three shops later it is still in use. When ever sanding or routing or sawing, you can see the dust swirl around and head straight for the intake. The air coming out the back is quite clear. Inside is just a 1/4 hp furnace squirrel cage. Air flow was stated as 1500 cfm. Filter is a 4 thick inch pleated filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.1 KB, 40 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.1 KB, 39 views)

Really nice idea. I like that a lot. Have to see if I can figure out a way to modify it to work in my shop.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Jim-
    I share your sinus woes...

The cheapest solution is to a) get a half-mask respirator. The 3m one is cheap and extremely effective.
    b) Get a 20" box fan + 20" MERV13 furnace filter + bungee cord. What this setup lacks in efficiency it makes up in portability.

Even if you decide to use a more efficient squirrel cage ambient cleaner, a box fan+ filter in addition, placed strategically, will increase the airflow nicely.

I run a box fan with my "last month" home AC filter.
    -Brian