Thread: Help/Ideas on setting up new shop dust collection

Help/Ideas on setting up new shop dust collection

I will be building a new house and shop this fall. So far all of my time has been in designing the new house and building cabinets for that house. I currently have a 30 X 56 shop, but the new one will be 30 X 40 with a 10 foot lean to on one end. For dust collection I have the following: Jet 1900 4 bagger, Jet 1100 2 bagger which I bought the Jet Vortex attchment, Jet overhead Air filtration, 3 shop vacs, one converted with HEPA and dust deputy, two vacs with dry wall bags and upgraded filter, delta downdraft table, 1 Thien 30 gallon trash can separator and a 55 gallon drum to make a second or add a cyclone. Main tools for the dust collection are the Jet cabinet saw, MM FS35 jointer/planer, Dewalt 735 planer, Supermax 19-38 sander, PM 90 lathe. Here is my current thinking on the set up. Every thing is on wheels except the cabinet saw.

Dust collectors I intend to put the Jet 1900 outside under the lean to using the bags as installed but add the 55 gallon drum and the $199 6" cyclone on ebay. I intend to have only one run about 10' and then reduce it to two 4" (15' of flex hose)for tool hook up and move the major machines to an area. The second 4" would be used for drill press, band saw, and miter saw. I do this now and with a smaller shop I don't believe there will be enough room to have every machine in a stationary place with a run.
    (1) I don't think you can make a Thein with 6" ports for the 55 gallon drum can you? (cheaper)
    (2) The Jet 1900 has 3 four inch ports, do you just make a cover from plywood with a 6" port?
    The DC 1100 I will add a Wynn nano filter for use on the inside with the 30 gallon Thien. This would be mainly dedicated to the cabinet saw, but would use in the extreme cold so I don't exhaust all my heat.
    (3) I think a Dylos would be beneficial yes/no?
    (4) If so is it worth getting the 0.5 micron over the 1.0 micron? Or if you have increased 1.0 levels you will have increased 0.5 levels. For wood working I think it would be rare to have just 0.5 levels increased without 1.0 levels increased.

I haven't bought anything yet or even laid out the shop other than I want 12 foot ceilings, 16 X9 overhead door, service door and four 30" windows and hot water floor heat.

Open to suggestions and changes.

Bill

Bill,

Just to cherry pick on questions 3 and 4 on the Dylos.... I've had the 1/5 micron Dylos particle counter for five years now and make the same assumption you speculate in question 4 - that if I have a high reading in the the 1 to 5 micron scale, I assume the under .5 micron would be exponentially higher....... from Dylos' own nominal scales of equating x particle count with a statement of air quality I would take this exponential difference to be three fold 'cause on Dylos' 1/5 micron monitor "good" air is given a 50-150 count while on the .5/5 micron this number is 150-300, poor is 1000+/3000+ respectively, and so on.
    To me the 25% to 33% additional cost for .5 micron calibrated meter is not sufficiently useful; similarly, the history function of the non-computer linked monitor, allowing you to recall readings by the minute or hour over the previous 24 hour, is plenty of information if you want draw charts.

Also, regarding question 2, apart from a low powered 1hp dc, I don't think people typically use the multiple 4" removeable outlet cover at the impeller cover; people remove this multiple 4" cover and use the underlying single larger outlet (5" or 6") and sometimes even replace this underlying larger outlet and replace it with a shopmade with an even larger single outlet made of plywood and a standard metal HVAC fixture.

good luck

michael

Hi Bill,
    I just completed a Thein separator on a 55 gal drum today, it has a 6" outlet to the DC and a 4" inlet. The fiber drum is about 22" OD at the top metal band. I measured and it looks like you'd have about 1/4 to maybe 3/8" to spare if you ran fittings through the top. I think you'd have plenty of room if you went thru the top with plastic pipe.

Have you done any dovetailing yet?

g
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Hi Gary

As you know I have got so many irons in the fire I feel like a steel mill. So time will be a factor. I remembered seeing a cyclone on ebay and did a search on this site. Decent reviews but there were knocks on his initial design. He has since modified it with the neutral vane and 15 degree inlet slope. Unless I see a lot of negatives on this I think this is what I will do. The Thien is very effective and would cost less, but more time for me to set up and get right. Since I have two dust collectors (Jet 4 bag 1900, Jet 2 bag 1100) I intend to put the 1900 under the lean to on my shop and the cyclone on the inside. Leave 1900 as is on the outside and for the 1100 add the Wynn filter for the inside. Run the 1900 during the summer and then switch over to the 1100 during the cold winter so as not to lose my heat. I am hoping someone here will have suggestions or a better way on how to do this. I do like the portability of the 1100 to move any place near a tool using my Thien seperator.

Bill