Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CV1800 installation questions

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Seems I've read (I THINK it was on Pentz' site) that the intake should extend at least 5 times the diameter before making any adjustments ... 6" pipe = 30" of straight run ... I couldn't go that far due to space constraints, but I did manage to minimize my angle by using a single 22.5* fitting ... I don't have an anemometer any more to check/compare, but it runs & sucks just fine. Minimal losses are going to occur here & there ... just let them happen, but keep them to a minimum ... in reality, you'll never see the difference.

I have my unit up in the attic of my shop, and here in S.E. Tennessee, it gets plenty warm in the summers ... I've never had a moment's trouble out of the motor ... I'd say it is safe to tuck it up into your floor joists as far as you can while making sure it can breathe pretty well.

I would try very hard not to use any flex to change the angle of the inlet pipe. I'd prefer to use an el, 22.5 or 45 degree, to transition from the upward angle to horizontal to get past the HVAC ducting. You can transition back up on the other side to gain headroom. If either of these don't make the pipe level going past the HVAC duct, you can twist the fitting to make a slight turn to get it level, even if you have to re-aim the cyclone inlet to get the pipe to end up in the right place past the HVAC duct. Does that make sense?
    I try to use the least amount of flex as I can, mainly to isolate the ducting, and therefore the cyclone, from the machines.DSCN3376 BS ducting.jpg Now, the long piece of 6" flex on the right side is a temporary thing. This goes to my router table. I just haven't invested in 2 fittings to get closer to the table. I know, I know....practice what I preach!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks everyone. My CV1800 arrived safely today, without the 1/4" washers. I'll pick up some washers tomorrow and start assembling and caulking. Based on the feedback here, I think I will mount the motor between joists, and use the hanging mount suggested by ClearVue. All the other suggestions will be useful later.

Thanks again!

Noel

mine is in a basement with similar height; built a closet and sound proofed. the motor is between the joists and is cooled via the air that is coming out from the top.
    People in the house cannot notice the cyclone running in a normal activity day (unless the house is very quiet which you only hear a very subtle hummmm).
    I have documented mine here with pictures. I built my bin too. If you have any questions you can ask.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...vue&highlight=

I have done few upgrades since, but they are minor.
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 03-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.

I'd be quite reluctant to run with a very small dust bin - it's one of those things that will be there every time you work. Could become a right PIA.

Another option may be to detach the fan and motor from the cyclone, and use some ducting and as large a bend as you can fit to link the fan to the fan inlet tube in the cyclone. That way you could place the fan where suits, save lots on head height, not have to worry about putting your motor between the joists, and have a lot more flexibility in lining the fan up with your main dust collection header and the filters. You would need to make a new motor mount if you locate it on its side, but it wouldn't be that hard...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-02-2013 at 9:26 AM.

What!! No rant on the missing washers?

Best of luck to you.

P.S> The Alex DAP Clear Acrylic caulk is a great product

Paul