Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Cutting......what's the right machine?

Paper Cutting......what's the right machine?

I've seen some amazing examples of cut paper on here recently and it got me thinking about what is the best machine to do this.

Galvo Laser - Seems to be the fastest and most accurate way to cut intricate shapes......but the drawback is the price......what $10-20,000???

CO2 Laser - Again, cuts accurately and quickly but leaves a scorched edge especially on white cardstock and you can't cut more than 1-3 layers at a time. Again, cost of $10,000+

Vinyl Cutter - Can paper be cut with this? I don't know since I don't have one......so for those who do, does it cut paper? If so, how well? Ballpark price of $5,000?

Die Cutting Craft Machines - These seem to work well for crafters and scrapbook people. Uses a blade to cut similar to a vinyl cutter, so there are no scorch marks. Speed is probably much slower than a laser. Some (like Cricut) are limited to the shapes they can cut, but others (Silhouette Cameo) apparently can cut any shape. Prices are under $500. Anyone have one of these?

What are your thoughts?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Vinyl cutters need a carrier or backing layer or the blade goes right thru and messes up the teflon strip on the machine , slowish too. You could use a flatbed cutter like this Zund http://www.globalimaginginc.com/equi...dcutters.shtml but it is also real pricey. There really is nothing cheap out there that will do complex designs and fine filligree type stuff at production type speeds
    Here's a site that reviews some of the personal die cutters
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

hey steve,

my cousin JUST got his chinese vinyl cutter to run this morning. i will ask him to try paper, but do you have a picture of what your trying to do?
    there might be limitations like Rodney said, but i dont mind running a few tests with his machine if that helps. but i just need a little more info on what you're trying to accomplish.

thanks,
    Shenhui 9060 100W reci tube, CorelDraw X7

3D Printers:

Ultimaker 2
    Micro 3D
    Delta

Vinyl plotter isn't going to work. Paper is extremely abrasive. As Rodney mentioned, you need a carrier, something it'll stay stuck to while it cuts. Without that, you'll be fighting it. You might get through a couple of small projects, but it's certainly not the way to cut paper. If it was, it would be called a paper cutter, not a vinyl cutter
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

paper cut.jpg

Something like this maybe.......or like I said, there have been a few posts on here with beautiful examples of laser cut paper. I've tried cutting paper with my laser before, but the burnt edges just don't look good IMHO. Again, I'm just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to different types of machines.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

That black cat machine looks like quite a nice tool for well under a grand...
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.t...ar-review.html
    http://www.blackcatcutters.com/
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

What kind of quantities are you talking about? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?

My standard answer to a "right tool for the job" question is usually " the one you already have" unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy, er, tool. If that's the case, I'd say galvo laser, as it's the most flexible (and coolest) option on the "don't own already" list. I wouldn't consider anything specialized unless you already had jobs lined up that would pay for it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Probably just ignorance on my part, but when someone says "die cutting", I envision a stamping operation with a fixed-shape die, not a beefed-up pen plotter. Explain please?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    paper cutting.....what's the right machine?
    Well of course a "Paper Cutter" Only $11.54 but wait if you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll (fill in the next part) Mine is "Steve will come to you place of business and personally demonstrate the many options you have with a new and improved, high tech, guillotine paper cutter and he promises not to leave any fingers behind because of the many new safety features but don't delay, you must call now." Sorry Steve your subject line was just too inviting.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Oh great, now I can't get the phrase "running with scissors" out of my head...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I've tried cutting paper with my laser before, but the burnt edges just don't look good IMHO.
    Steve,

Your settings are wrong, then... I did our wedding invites and response cards with the ULS. No charring, perfect cuts (little hearts and other cutouts with a second color showing through). It was a pale beige cardstock with medium-purple paper behind, so any charring would be immediately obvious.

The CO2 laser is the right tool, and if you want speed, the galvo is the perfect compliment. If you need a large work area, however, you'll need to step back to a carriage type of machine.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Our 2012 Christmas cards were cut with the laser... no problems with charring on any of the cuts. Now, they were not intricate at all so maybe the level of detail does come into play. If I get a chance this week, I'll make up something intricate to cut.
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

Okay you guys, you are not helping Steve by leaving out your settings.

Steve, I would say you need to experiment of course because every paper type is different, but I have cut index and 30 pound decorative papers using 100 speed and between 15-30 power. 1000-2000 frequency. Now for regular 20 pound (printer paper) I use 100 sp/8-12 power/500 freq. For 130 pound watercolor paper, 100 sp/50 power/500 freq. All of these are from my 35w.

So you can see that different weights and types require different settings. "Paper" is just too generic a term.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I, too, have made decorative cuts in paper with no charring but I was playing and don't remember any settings.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Paper cuts can be done with a flatbed.....need just the right setting....Dee managed to cut one of my designs a few years back with great results on white stock.

Galvo really is your best bet....fast, accurate, and fast!!! We know companies who cut paper using carriage systems and it works for them....it's just their price points are very high. We can bring ours down a little but then you have to factor in the cost of the machines.

Die-Cutting can work but as soon as you get into any real detail, forget about it. If you want bold large shapes, it's probably the most efficient way to go.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic