Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Tool So Far This Year: Router Plane

Favorite Tool So Far This Year: Router Plane

Around ten years ago I picked up an old router plane for $3.00 at a flea market, not really knowing what it was for, if it was any good, and thinking it would make me look more like a woodworker having one around. Well, I saw a blurb recently on using this tool to clean up tenons and such and tried it, and what a wonderful tool its proven to be. I'm using it for tenons and mortising in hinges. Can't imagine life without it. On top of that it's much more quiet and far less stressful than trying to use an electric router for these tasks. Probably my only tool gloat, just $3.00. The reason I remember the $3.00, is it's written in marker on the base, but it's finally starting to rub off from use.

My uncle was a carpenter and he used them all the time for the hinge and striker mortises. Wish I had one.

George

I paid more than that for mine but will agree that it is a very useful tool that is most often a pleasure to use. Used mine just yesterday and was thinking good things about it .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Yay! Another who loves the router plane as much as I do. It is remains one of my favorite if not my favorite tool in the shop. The best $3.00 you'll ever spend.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

It's one of those tools that you don't know how much you need it until you've used one once! My small & large are used all the time.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Wait till you try it for inlay work... I will admit that I will use my trim router to do much of the work but to get right to the knife line there is nothing better then the router plane...
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I agree with Andrew, it is great for making inlay work (as well as so much more). I have been working on a very delicate inlay (a narrow motive) and used some allen wrenches and filed and sanded them down to the sizes i needed. Worked beautifully!

Would also like to make a specific tenon router where one arm extends further onto the piece, so to have more surface control. Would be an easy and fun project I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    My uncle was a carpenter and he used them all the time for the hinge and striker mortises. Wish I had one.

George
    George, you can always make your own ..

Building an OWT: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...%27sTooth.html

Improving the OWT: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingTheOWT.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 03-01-2013 at 8:28 AM.

Harry Strasil has a short video using this router plane but I haven't been able to find it. Perhaps others will have better luck finding it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...7-Tenon-Router

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Harry Strasil has a short video using this router plane but I haven't been able to find it. Perhaps others will have better luck finding it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...7-Tenon-Router
    this is the thread with links to videos -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...n-Router-Video

Unfortunately, they're linked to a photobucket account that now needs a password.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

David,
    Try a piece of 1/4" plywood screwed to the bottom of your router, that's why the Stanley's and Millers' have screw holes in the base!
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Roy, The other day I was using my Stanley #71, actually considering in passing what those holes were for. Now you tell me and I feel like a dufus... Which is okay, not the first time. So simple, thank you for that.
    But I wonder, if I were to screw the ply on and off, for when I needed it on a tenon, wouldn't it then become to loose in the screw holes (on the ply)? Then having to make a new plywood base every now and again? Maybe it is better to make a specific tenon router once and for all!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by David Paulsen View Post
    Maybe it is better to make a specific tenon router once and for all!?!?
    I tapped my acrylic auxiliary base for machine screws fifteen years ago. Still works.

Quote Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
    I tapped my acrylic auxiliary base for machine screws fifteen years ago. Still works.
    Hey David, yeah that is a pretty wholesome idea!!! Not sure how I feel though, about attaching acrylic to such a beautiful tool. But for using it every now and again, it would work a charm.
    My thought had also been to make an inserted thread in a solid wood base and then some bolts...

Quote Originally Posted by David Paulsen View Post
    Hey David, yeah that is a pretty wholesome idea!!! Not sure how I feel though, about attaching acrylic to such a beautiful tool. But for using it every now and again, it would work a charm.
    My thought had also been to make an inserted thread in a solid wood base and then some bolts...
    The acrylic coupled to the older #71 suits my aesthetic, but more so, you can't see through wood—a generous acrylic plate makes the #71 truly superb for grounding bas relief carving and lettering on signs. I've even made v-cutters for incising, gouge-shaped and toothed cutters for texturing and right & left-hand cutters for edging.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 03-02-2013 at 2:22 PM.