Thread: Looking for task light for new bandsaw

Blog Entries

Looking for task light for new bandsaw

I have been trying to find a task light that I can use on my new Grizzly g0513x2 band saw. I have what I think are some basic requirement that I am having trouble meeting.
    Here is what I am looking for:
    1) Magnetic base
    2) Flexible gooseneck about 16-18 inches long
    3) Preferably LED lamp. (I am flexible on this)
    3) NOT battery powered, would like 110v or even low voltage with wall wart, but prefer 110v.
    4) Less than $20 and the cheaper the better! (This one has been the hardest to find)

Anybody know where I can find such a thing?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Here is one at Eagle but I don't think it is as long as you want.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...aw_accessories

Blog Entries
    LED lamps are great for target work but, when I am trying to see a line from 3 feet away while feeding a piece of material, all proved inadequate. I really wanted them to work due to lower heat, lamp life and all that but oh well. For about $30 I bought a spare DW7881 like came on my scroll saw.

BS lamp (2).jpg

I simply bolted it to one of the magnetic bases of the "failures". The magnetic base means I can move it wherever I want and the neck is certainly long enough to meet any need I have every had.

BS lamp (1).jpg

The magnetic hook that holds the cord out of the way is a Christmas Wreath door hanger bought 6 for $2 during after Christmas clearance at Wally-world. Very handy, wish I had more ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-28-2013 at 3:34 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bandsaw light? How about on carter?

Found one @ Bed Bath and Beyond. $20.00. Asia Lighting #293S. Has a clip-on base.
    Added a mag base from an old speaker magnet.
    I can move it from the BS to the lathe.
    Plug in, switch on, and go.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I have one of these Delta 25-869 Magnetic Base Light25-869.jpg. You can put any 110 volt lamp in it including an LED bulb. It works quite well as the magnetic base attaches securely to the upper door on my saw and the goose neck lets me adjust the light where it is needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought one of these for around $15 from Home Depot. I epoxied a few magnets to the back of the clip so it can be moved on the band saw. These are humorously well made lights, mostly all stainless steel. Mine works better than other options I've tried, since it can take a fairly high wattage bulb. I also bought them for my radial arm saw and shaper. It's great having extra light when you really need to see what's going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

then buy one of these to turn it on and off automatically
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-auto-...p-00924031000P
    Carpe Lignum

Larry
    For less then 20, look for a lamp at Goodwill, magnetic base at Harbor freight. I picked my light and base for my MM16 for under $15.00. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have one of these Delta 25-869 Magnetic Base Light25-869.jpg. You can put any 110 volt lamp in it including an LED bulb. It works quite well as the magnetic base attaches securely to the upper door on my saw and the goose neck lets me adjust the light where it is needed.
    Use same exact light, but added a "N Vision" CFL bulb from HD. It's brighter and whiter than most CFL's. Been on the saw for about six years now with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Use same exact light, but added a "N Vision" CFL bulb from HD. It's brighter and whiter than most CFL's. Been on the saw for about six years now with no problems.
    I have 4 of the deltas. They are excellent and meet all your criteria

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have one just like that on my bandsaw too. I just use regular rough service incandescent light bulbs. Best I can remember I have not had to replace the bulb in in over 5 years and the light sees more use than the bandsaw does.

I have a number of these in my shop:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...multilamp.aspx

It's not under $20 but it works and it works well. I have one on the small g0555 too. I think I have another one kicking around somewhere.