Thread: Condor tails for work bench.

Blog Entries

Condor tails for work bench.

Thanks to Jim Kirkpatrick for reminding me to see an old issue of Woodworking magazine where Jameel Abrahams wrote an article on Condor Tails. You may have seen my post asking to see everyone's work benches, Jim replied with the issue I needed to see for the technique. This is my first attempt about an hour after reading the article. This is just practice so I used my junk 1/4" chisel and still had good results. I think I'll go for it on the Bubinga & maple as soon as I prep the material. Thanks again Jim and a big thanks once again to Jameel, he has inspired me in inlays, segmented turning and now Condor tails. I can't say how much I appreciate those that share their methods and skills with us.
    condor tail.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 03-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I knew you were familiar with Jameel's work. I remember seeing your inlay thread for your beautiful humidors. Glad to help, looks great! Remember to make those half pins plenty wide enough to allow for wear when planing your bench surface flat years down the road. So many don't. Can't wait to see you bench progress!
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 03-01-2013 at 6:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Good point, I'll keep that in mind as well. As bad luck would have it, Woodworkers Source is out of 8/4 Hard Maple and there wasn't any on their delivery yesterday. Now it may be another week or more before they get some in. They're killin' me, I want to knock this thing out. This has been on my to do list for years. I've had most of the lumber stacked out in one of my bays at work for years, just not quite enough. I've had the twin screw vise sitting by my desk for a couple years too, new in the box. I need 2 more pieces 80"x1.75"x6" and I can finish. So close & yet so far.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Jameel is an incredible resource for woodworkers. My avatar is mu first and only dovetail, based on Jameel's article.
    Last edited by Eric McCune; 03-01-2013 at 9:11 PM.

Looks great Eric! Too bad he published that article after I built my bench.

Blog Entries
    I think I'll have to go 16/4 to get the look I'm after.

Blog Entries
    Ended up with 12/4 Hard Maple for the twin screw vise bench end. I've already done one set of tails but I'm out of town right now. Should be ablw to do the pins tomorrow. Can't figure out how to add pics from my phone but I'll post pics asap.