Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Erector set

Blog Entries
    I started playing around the time I turned 8... by 10 I was building giganto structures and complex mechanisms. But I became an engineer, so my brain was obviously wired to do such things from an early age...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    Actually Walt, I have found just the opposite, with the rubber band guns at least. People wanted them now, not next week. Also at Christmas time I stop everything except cakepans, that is all I have time for. The problem is that is the time that everyone wants the toys. Of course I could always make a bunch of kits in my not busy time but there is always the risk of them not selling and me having time and money invested in the kits.
    How are you selling your toys? Do you have a web site or are you setting up a booth some where or both?

Regarding the erector set I was probably around 8-9 and I started building all kinds of stuff, but then again I had legos, lincon logs, and I can't remember the name but the toys that used round wooden connectors and dowels, so I was always building something
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

So far the only places I have sold the toys is at a local farmers market on Thursdays and at a flee market on Mondays during the summer only. And also at my shop.

Someone had mentioned them not being pratical to produce. I have to disagree. Between the nuts, wood and hydraulics I have about $6 in material and about 23 minutes in laser time. They won't be low cost toys but if you go look for construction toy at any department store they aren't cheap either.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    So far the only places I have sold the toys is at a local farmers market on Thursdays and at a flee market on Mondays during the summer only.
    I think that's a perfect way to do it for that product, heck I'd buy one If I was doing something like that I'd probably start of taking 5 of each design and see what sells, if they all sell then bring 7 of each next time and so on. Not wasting time and money on unsold inventory is a tricky proposition at best but I would tend to try and error on the side of running out then having stuff laying around.

I would also defiantly take your erector set with you to the next one as well. If you really want to impress people I would have one of each thing that the kit can be made into on display. That way when people ask about it you can tell them it all came from the same kit for x$, but the fact that they are SEEING all the things it can make will increase the value of the kit in their minds.

Good luck let us know how it goes!
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Langhans View Post
    How are you selling your toys? Do you have a web site or are you setting up a booth some where or both?

...and I can't remember the name but the toys that used round wooden connectors and dowels...
    Tinker Toys!!!
    Epilog Helix 60w
    Epilog Mini 18 30W
    Purex Xbase 200
    CorelDRAW X7
    Wood Carver

Quote Originally Posted by David Rust View Post
    Tinker Toys!!!
    That's it! Thanks it was driving me nuts... well... more nuts
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

I think I got my Erector set at age 6 or 7 and built basic things. Maybe by 10 or so
    I was ready to move onto more advanced pieces.. but by then parts went missing.
    (oldest of 5 at the time.. shared toybox. NO CHANCE of keeping kits together!)

Joe, have you thought of packaging designs. there are some here that do pretty well with
    their packages.

One thing you may want to consider, is having some samples when you show them with
    personalization on them. If I was a kid (ok, I still am in spirit) it would magnify the coolness
    if say it had a logo "Marty's Excavation" on it.

Also, as far as burning goes, maybe others should try other woods such as Maple.
    If your going for a higher market the wood can make a difference.

I have made some personalized gliders and the kids loved them,
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Here is my plan for packaging. The first picture is just there to give an idea of what I am thinking, it will actually be photos or traced line drawings from photos on the cover. Along with age suggestions, number of parts and something along the lines of HILLMANN'S CONSTRUCTION SET.
    DSCF4431.jpg
    When the lid is opened this is what is inside. I may include a screwdriver depending on how cheap I can get them at Menards. In the upper left hand corner you can see the hydraulic cylinder. After the test modes were built my kids fought over taking turns playing with the hydraulics on them. I think that should be a big hit. The instruction booklet will also be in the top layer.
    DSCF4432.jpg
    Under they yellow layer is the black layer which is the cab, bucket and engine cover.
    DSCF4433.jpg
    And under the black layer are 32 right angle connectors. (there are several missing in the photo). One connector in each corner and one in the center are very lightly glued to the box to keep the layers in place when the box is handled.
    DSCF4435.jpg

This is actually the first product I have made that I have spent much time on packaging design. I have thought of putting a clear window in the front of the box so the parts can be seen inside but that brings up all sorts of problems.

I had thought of customizing the kits but I plan on selling most of them at flee markets and craft shows so customizing them add either shipping or extra running around.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Edit: I posted twice.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

I was thinking about packaging the vectors and selling that like LaseBuzz designs..
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I was thinking about packaging the vectors and selling that like LaseBuzz designs..

Oh, I had thought of it but the problem is everything is optimized for a 18x32 bed with many parts shairing edges so they can't be run on a smaller laser without a lot of reworking. Although for most items I still have the unoptomized originals but they are such a mess I don't even know if I could figure them out let alone someone else. The other problem is everything is designed around plywood that is .110 thick which isn't a common thickness but I can get truckloads of it.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

My next project is a tracked excavator with four sets of hydraulics on it. Right now the tracks are giving me a bit of trouble.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

I now have ten of the kits ready to go except the instruction manuals. When making them in bulk the tires became a real challenge. I ended up redesigning them 3 times to get a wheel that , looks good, rolls, is strong, is easy to assemble, it easy to attach to the models and doesn't take too long to cut on the laser.

Here is a finished model.
    DSCF4477.jpg

Here is the other side with the hydraulic system on it. These pictures don't show it but there is a seat and a few details inside as well as a SMV sign on the back.
    DSCF4478.jpg
    Here is about 1/3 of 10 kits. Making these kits was the longest I have ever ran my CO2 lasers at any one time.
    DSCF4437.jpg

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Suggestion?

Can the yellow be adjusted to be a little more red?
    (sort of like a Kodak or Caterpillar yellow?)
    and somewhere in there you need RED!
    The blue is good. They yellow is OK. Red would
    make it 'pop'.

Or are they sold raw, and people paint their own?

Just thinking from a visual appeal/impulse buy angle..