Thread: A Bedside Table

A Bedside Table

I just thought I'd share a little doodle I did for practice today. I should be working on those plans for a mantle clock but I'm waiting for some info before I can finish them up.

Maybe this would make a nice little bedside table.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-02-2013 at 6:21 PM.

Pretty! White oak, or cherry?

However, the door gives me pause. It is almost twice as wide as it is tall. That's a big lever arm on the hinges. Of course, it only weighs a couple of pounds, so maybe it doesn't matter...

One other thought... The lower two rails on the sides are like 2" tall. The tops and bottoms don't line up with anything on the cabinet front. In contrast, the line at the bottom of the top rail does wrap around the front, and looks cleaner to me.

Jamie,

I expect white oak.

It's drawn as built based on a real piece from the early 1900s except the bottom of the 'case' is supposed to have through tenons coming through the bottom side rails. I left those out because I thought it would be nicer without them. I've seen many pieces from that period with a similar arrangement of the front and side horizontals not lining up. I suppose they designed it wrong.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-03-2013 at 3:12 PM.

Looks cool!