Thread: Clearvue blast gate shippng a bit pricey

Clearvue blast gate shippng a bit pricey

Like a kid 3 days before Christmas, I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my CV1800 ordered last week) and the sticker shock is starting to wear off. I have been getting the duct work together and finalizing the layout along with new hood designs.

Yesterday I started to think about blast gates. I have opted not to build my own - its a time thing. I was all ready to order 7 CV blast gates, but when I added the items to the cart, $42 in shipping costs showed up - $6 for each blast gate! I will give them a call to see if they can add them to my current cyclone order and maybe save a little.

If not, I will probably order the self cleaning ones from LV - $12 shipping for all 7 blast gates. I would rather not because I like that the CV ones fit over the PVC. Or I may just make my own.

They need to do something about their shipping costs. I was going to buy some gates from them when I was thinking of purchasing a mini. I called and asked why couldn't the gates be packed with the mini and was told it wasn't possible. So I didn't place an order.

Mike

That all said, the 6" Clearvue gates were a lot cheaper than the 6" gates I found elsewhere, and I like them a lot. I like, in particular, the fact that the existing screws can be removed and the same screwholes used to screw the blastgate to any piece of flat wood (with a large circular hole, obviously). That makes them very easy to adapt for things like floor sweeps, mods to equipment to change out 4" factory outlets for 6" outlets, etc. When I bought mine, they were selling them in 3 packs, which I think might have improved the shipping costs.

I would be very suprized if CV does not work with you to bundle the shipping into a single box to save cost. They are good people. It may just be a glitch in their automated web ordering system.

In my opinion, the CV blast gates are a much better product, especially if you are using PVC pipe. LV is designed for metal pipe or spiral duct. Both end up at $21 each.

Steve

This is a weak part of the business plan of many small businesses these days. Many times I will add some product to my "cart" only to delete when I get to shipping costs.

On the other hand, I have been pleasantly surprised by some vendors that have figured this out, especially on Ebay. It really amazes me how you can order something from China with free shipping, and receive the item in less than a week, and you would think that shipping cost would prohibit them from being able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I would be very suprized if CV does not work with you to bundle the shipping into a single box to save cost. They are good people. It may just be a glitch in their automated web ordering system.

In my opinion, the CV blast gates are a much better product, especially if you are using PVC pipe. LV is designed for metal pipe or spiral duct. Both end up at $21 each.

Steve
    I have sent a request into CV so we will see what happens. They have been great so far. However, it is $30 total difference as compared to the LV gates.

Blog Entries
    Here is another alternative. I have been making my own using 3/4" plywood, 1/4" hardboard and short pieces of pvc. I can put one together in about 15-20 minutes. I made myself pattern pieces from scrap pieces of 1/4" plywood for each of the parts. I'm not sure what each one cost me because I can almost always find enough scrap laying around to make it. If I had 7 or 8 to make, I would start an assembly line of sorts. I bet I could make those baby's in a couple of hours.
    I know you said you didn't want to make your own because of time, but after you get started, if goes pretty fast.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 03-04-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Here is another alternative. I have been making my own using 3/4" plywood, 1/4" hardboard and short pieces of pvc. I can put one together in about 15-20 minutes. I made myself pattern pieces from scrap pieces of 1/4" plywood for each of the parts. I'm not sure what each one cost me because I can almost always find enough scrap laying around to make it. If I had 7 or 8 to make, I would start an assembly line of sorts. I bet I could make those baby's in a couple of hours.
    I know you said you didn't want to make your own because of time, but after you get started, if goes pretty fast.
    Yeah, Larry, when I think about it, I could probably knock them out after work once set up.

Clearvue just got back to me and said they can fit 6 of the blast gates in the cyclone body container. I will only have to pay for shipping on the other 2 gates.

Couldn't ask for anything more. They have been a pleasure to deal with.

I contacted them about this as well . Normally when more items are added to a purchase the shipping cost does not double, triple etc. They said call them and they would see what they could do. A flat rate per piece is ridiculous! Buy one shipping is $6, buy 2 shipping is $12, buy three shipping is $18! I can't say I have ever seen a web site that does such a thing. I have the CV1800, and I love it, so I am not biased against ClearVue. They are great people but must be loosing a lot of business due to the shipping rates for accessories. I bought one blast gate to see what it was like. No incentive to buy more than one as it did not save me on shipping. ??? If shipping rates were not so steep for more units, I may have bought more at that time. Now that I have seen one I will probably build my own. Nothing wrong with them but then again nothing special. I don't want to hassle with trying to get reduced shipping rates. Wake up ClearVue!
    Last edited by Todd Brewer; 03-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.