Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do self checkouts at stores save money?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    What the stores say is that they use the savings to offer lower prices. Of course, all shoppers benefit from the lower prices, not just those who use the self checkout. So I suppose that's a reason for more people to use the self checkout - to lower the prices for everyone.

Mike
    The stores fail to recognize that such a situation gives rise to a "free rider" problem. Others benefit from me using the self checkout and that benefit (lower prices allegedly) is no different for me than others. Collective incentives might work at communes but probably not a Home Depot. Of course, they could use negative incentives and just close more of the other checkouts.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hodgin View Post
    The stores fail to recognize that such a situation gives rise to a "free rider" problem. Others benefit from me using the self checkout and that benefit (lower prices allegedly) is no different for me than others. Collective incentives might work at communes but probably not a Home Depot. Of course, they could use negative incentives and just close more of the other checkouts.
    Gary
    There are many places where others benefit from the actions of people who choose to do certain things. Someone may choose to pick up some trash along the road when taking a walk, for example. It's just part of living in society. It'd be nice if everyone contributed but if we waited for everyone to contribute, nothing would get done.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Drickhamer View Post
    I refuse to use self checkouts. There are enough unemployed people out there. While shopping once the checkout person told me I could have used the self checkout. When I told him my reason for not using it, he thanked me,
    Why should the store make more money by putting people out if work? If the store wants me to check myself out give me a discount ( I still wouldn't use it ) or put me on the payroll.
    Did someone come in from China and install the self checkout machines? Did they install themselves? Did they materialize out of nowhere in a puff of smoke and suddenly they existed? Did no US truck drivers drive those crates to the stores? Did those trucks not use fuel, which employed people to take the money?

I'd venture to say that building those self checkouts and maintaining them is a job that's a lot higher on the pay totem pole than swiping groceries by a high school kid. I'll take a tech job over swiping groceries every single day. While you might not like the fact that some kid didn't get a job at the grocery store, somewhere in the US, some kid did get a higher paying job to work at that company that produced and maintains that equipment.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I refuse to use self checkouts. There are enough unemployed people out there. While shopping once the checkout person told me I could have used the self checkout. When I told him my reason for not using it, he thanked me,
    Why should the store make more money by putting people out if work? If the store wants me to check myself out give me a discount ( I still wouldn't use it ) or put me on the payroll.
    I agree completely. If I'm helping their bottom line, give me a discount.
    Paul

They are testing technology using RFID tags where your entire cart is automatically scanned using RFID tags on each product. No need to even unload the cart. I have no idea how they deal with produce or how they stop folks who remove the tags.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    ......If I'm helping their bottom line....
    I love it when people say "them", "they", "their". That's not how it is, folks. These are public corporations that exist to make money. "We"-"us" own them. If not directly, then you probably still do through money you have saved in mutual funds. All those evil stores and oil companies you hate....they is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    I love it when people say "them", "they", "their". That's not how it is, folks. These are public corporations that exist to make money. "We"-"us" own them. If not directly, then you probably still do through money you have saved in mutual funds. All those evil stores and oil companies you hate....they is you.
    Why are you being so condescending, Joe? I think we all understand the way our investments works. Also, they're not "public corporations". Some are, and some aren't. Many are privately owned, like the Big Y I mentioned. Wegmans is family owned. Publix is privately owned. In fact, quite a few markets are privately owned, and it may actually be that most markets are privately owned. But anyhow, that's neither here nor there. Just because I might happen to own Ford stock doesn't mean I jump for joy when the F150 I'm looking at buying becomes more expensive.

I don't know where you're getting this "evil" stores thing. You're tilting at windmills. I think we're just having a conversation about self checkout lanes and you're trying to turn it into a defense of capitalism. The fact is that usage rates show that the vast majority of people don't like and/or don't use the self checkouts, and there's ample evidence that it's at best questionable if they actually reduce costs at all. In the supermarket setting, they appear to increase costs for quite a few establishments.

Our very large grocery chain here (Giant Eagle) is also private.

The self checkouts at one local grocery store are so busy they put in two more for a total of six. There are usually people waiting every time I am there. They finally after several years put up a sign limiting use to 15 items or less. People were trying to check out whole carts of groceries which doesn't work so well.

I almost always stop for groceries on my way home around 4:30 PM so I am there during the busiest time. Maybe they don't get as much use during the day. I don't know.

I refuse to use self checkouts. There are enough unemployed people out there.
    What about ATMs, online purchases, airport kiosks, automated toll booths? Do you fly with carry-on luggage? Do you buy furniture created with power tools? Do you shop at Walmart or Home Depot? All of these things have eliminated millions of jobs. I try to focus on buying quality products created by skilled workers. Low skilled jobs are always at risk due to technology or the race to the bottom on wages. Just a reality in a corporate driven world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McCune View Post
    What about ATMs, online purchases, airport kiosks, automated toll booths? Do you fly with carry-on luggage? Do you buy furniture created with power tools? Do you shop at Walmart or Home Depot? All of these things have eliminated millions of jobs. I try to focus on buying quality products created by skilled workers. Low skilled jobs are always at risk due to technology or the race to the bottom on wages. Just a reality in a corporate driven world.
    In fact, I have never set foot in Walmart, don't online shop for anything I can buy locally, and try very hard not to buy furniture. And I'm poor. So automated checkouts bug me.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    In fact, I have never set foot in Walmart, don't online shop for anything I can buy locally, and try very hard not to buy furniture. And I'm poor. So automated checkouts bug me.
    The boutique stores near me have Don Pepino pizza sauce for 1.99 a can; Walmart has it for 1.22. Many other things similarly priced. Plus, they have just installed the self checkouts!

Another advantage for the stores is that the self checkout stations do not require health insurance, which, in case anybody has not noticed, is very expensive. They don't call in sick, or steal. And they won't sue for a repetitive motion injury.

How many cashiers today get health insurance? Certainly not the hypothetical high school kid mentioned by some.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The fact is that usage rates show that the vast majority of people don't like and/or don't use the self checkouts, and there's ample evidence that it's at best questionable if they actually reduce costs at all. In the supermarket setting, they appear to increase costs for quite a few establishments.
    I don't think that's true around here. The self checkouts at Ralph's and Home Depot are always busy and people seem to appreciate how quickly you can get through the checkout using them. In fact, Ralph's uses that in their advertising, touting the fast checkout.

I think there're two kinds of people: those who like the self checkouts and the Luddites who reject all new technology as the work of the devil.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-04-2013 at 9:53 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I enjoy self checkouts when I have a few items that are easy to scan. If I have sheet goods, bolts/nuts, produce, or a cart full of items I wait in line for a human to help me. But what makes my day is only having an item or two to purchase and being able to breeze through checkout on my own.

All of you that avoid self checkout because it eliminates minimum wage jobs need to pick up and move to Oregon. Here it is illegal to pump your own gas because, according to the Governor, allowing us to pump our own gas would result in the loss of jobs. You'd love it here.