Thread: Tray base?

Question Tray base?

I have a pair of wooden trays, both were made to sit on stoves when the the stove was NOT in use. SDC14471.jpgSDC14470.jpg Only need one, nowadays. So, I was thinking of making a base for the one that is black Cherry/QSWO. The one with the black star can take over the stove duties. I have some old Oak, and thought about some short, 12" or so, legs. Maybe cross a couple rails in a hlaf-lap joiny to connect the four legs. Might run the rails through the legs' tops, like a bridal Joint? It could even evolve into a through dovetail. Also looking at a way to attach the base to the tray.

Trying to make it a "Sit up in bed" tray. like a Breakfast tray, or a reading tray with space for the coffee cup?

Note: All the wood for this will be, or has been Reclaimed lumber. Even that Cherry, it can from an old floor joist!

So, ideas, anyone??

How about making the legs so they fold together like scissors instead of being crossed in half-laps? Maybe some small cleats on the bottom of the tray. Make two positions one so the tray sits flat and another so it can be set at a tilt for reading or surfing the web. What are the dimensions of the tray?

28-1/2" wide, by 19-1/2" deep. Trying to avoid any folding parts on this little project. Four stubby legs, with the rails hiding under the tray. Trying to keep it flat, as well. Breakfast sits better, that way.

Sounds like you've got it figured out then. Might as well get to cutting wood.

Took a stab at a few pieces todaySDC14482.jpgSDC14481.jpgSDC14480.jpgSDC14478.jpg Them angled Bridal joints are a bear to do.....

Cool! I bet it'll turn out just fine.

Tray is now installedSDC14492.jpg on it's new baseSDC14494.jpgbefore another roasting on a stove happens. Five screws to attach the base.

I like it! That burner mark on the bottom really adds character!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I have a pair of wooden trays, both were made to sit on stoves when the the stove was NOT in use. SDC14471.jpgSDC14470.jpg Only need one, nowadays. So, I was thinking of making a base for the one that is black Cherry/QSWO. The one with the black star can take over the stove duties. I have some old Oak, and thought about some short, 12" or so, legs. Maybe cross a couple rails in a hlaf-lap joiny to connect the four legs. Might run the rails through the legs' tops, like a bridal Joint? It could even evolve into a through dovetail. Also looking at a way to attach the base to the tray.

Trying to make it a "Sit up in bed" tray. like a Breakfast tray, or a reading tray with space for the coffee cup?

Note: All the wood for this will be, or has been Reclaimed lumber. Even that Cherry, it can from an old floor joist!

So, ideas, anyone??

I made this one. snaktab.jpg The legs fold when not in use.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute