Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: any beers I should try?

Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley
    Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Guinness ,Boddington's...

Add Old Speckled Hen to this list and I'm happy to sit for a long spell with you
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

In order of the liklihood of availability in PA:
    Carlsberg
    Pacifico
    Bells Amber
    Czechvar
    Zywiec
    Tyskie
    Fat Tire
    Alaskan Amber

Pa has got some great local brews and a lot of them too. The names of the beers escape me, but whenever i visit the in-laws I try whatever I can find that is local.

Try them all!
    Gotta agree - there's just too many and everyone is going to have their own opinion of what's good.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731

IMHO the best hefeweizen ever, and according to beer advocate I'm not the only one.
    That is an excellent choice, I prefer the Dunkel biers since I like the richer taste.

Try Ratebeer.com

Can you guys get O'Dell's 90 Shilling Ale back east? New Belgium's Fat Tire gets all the air time, but I think 90 Shilling is the best mass market beer out of Fort Collins, CO.

There's been a lot of suggestions for bottled beer through 20 posts, but unless I've missed it, no one's talked about fresh brews on tap. Some of the best beers I've had have been on tap, and I'm sure the reason for that is freshness. Young and alive, they beat all, especially the Hefeweizens and yeast beers (though a nice rich unchilled stout is equally intense). So that would be my suggestion, Curtis. Find a local brewpub and have the barkeep pull you a couple of pints.

Answer to the thread name...

ALL OF THEM!

Find a place the has an 'Around the World' or 'Beers of the World' type program where you get one of every beer they carry. It's a fun way to try a bunch of new beers. Just don't try them all in one night! As a bonus, you'll usually get a small token of recognition for your efforts (and expenditures)

I recommend staying away for the ones brewed by Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland. I had several of their fare and all were not good in my opinion.

Some recommened;

Moosehead
    Labatts Blue
    Molson Ice
    Molson Golden

I would offer the advice that you shouldn't automatically screen by type. You may find a particular IPA or Stout that you love. Go to different places and try sampler sizes if available.

As you try more and varied types you may refine your tastes and appreciate different subtleties that you would never have known existed before. Also, if you really want to get into it you should also go to a place that serves beer in the correct glass at the correct temperature. Like wine certain beers go well with certain foods and can enhance the flavors of what you are eating and drinking.

I once heard a beer expert/judge offer up his two favorite beers from the thousands he tried. They were cold and free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley
    Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Guinness ,Boddington's...

Add Old Speckled Hen to this list and I'm happy to sit for a long spell with you
    Yes that another good one!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Slimp View Post
    I would offer the advice that you shouldn't automatically screen by type. You may find a particular IPA or Stout that you love. Go to different places and try sampler sizes if available.

As you try more and varied types you may refine your tastes and appreciate different subtleties that you would never have known existed before. Also, if you really want to get into it you should also go to a place that serves beer in the correct glass at the correct temperature. Like wine certain beers go well with certain foods and can enhance the flavors of what you are eating and drinking.

I once heard a beer expert/judge offer up his two favorite beers from the thousands he tried. They were cold and free.
    Good advice. I don't normally like IPA, but Lagunitas Maximus is excellent.

I've never seen 90 Shilling, Joe. I'll look for it because I do enjoy a good Scottish ale but I prefer Scotch ale....I'm a meaty beer kind of guy I think the Scotch ales are mostly Belgian at this point.

There are 3 kinds of beer:

1. Good beer
    2. Free beer
    3. Good, free beer

Here in MN, my favorite is Surly Beer. Some great varieties....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

John...

Upon further review, 90 Shilling only makes it as far east as Illinios and Missouri.

http://odellbrewing.com/beer/90-shilling-ale/

I'd like to help you but I don't drink anymore.....I don't drink any less, either.

Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorite. I was very annoyed when it disappeared from a local pub.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-06-2013 at 4:55 PM. Reason: removed quote no longer germane