Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: any beers I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    David,

You're a friend of the german beers then. Typically lagers and pils are german branded and since the american beer industry was pioneered by the germans the typical american palate leans that way.

Lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast and is chilled when fermenting (typically 40-50deg F) and produces a light 'crisp' beer. typically 3-7%abv
    Ale yeast is a top fermenting yeast and ferments at higher temps (70-72deg F) and produces a more 'full bodied beer and mouth feel' typically 5 or > %abv
    Steam beers are lagers fermented at Ale temps.

I've been brewing for about 5 years now and I make a wicked IPA I call 'mahogany' due to the color. I avoid lagers as there is too much fussing with them.

But big words for something useless is what happens when they taste your fav beer before giving it the nod to be bottled. I kid....

I think the useless part comes in when someone gets snobby about their personal prefs.

I prefer IPAs I like the hoppy beers better (well except for the wheat beers I like) Yuengling is like drinking water to me.

To each their own I say,
    I do like guinness, too, but I cannot get along with the cans or the bottles. I like my beer to be something I can drink casually but still taste like beer. Yuengling fits that well, penn pilsner that's brewed here are both good beers, but the latter is a bit expensive for my taste. I do think there's an element of is it good or isn't it good, and if someone has to explain why it's good in extreme technical nature, then something must be missing. The german fits, though, I've got nothing in my bloodlines but german and german swiss until I ruined it going forward by marrying a woman who is 1/4th italian. The germans in central PA didn't get very far for hundreds of years, and they had to marry others of the same ilk because nobody else would put up with their thrift.

Mel mentions grolsch, that's good, too. I guess it's not too far away in the spectrum.

My ire is also driven by the husbands of my wife's friends who I'm convinced drink lots of trendy beers that just don't taste that good, but they drink them because they want people to think how thoughtful and cute the packaging, flavor concoctions and names are. But most of them just aren't very good, which they often confirm "I don't think I like this one". Yeah, nobody does, the maker spent tons of money and time trying to figure out how to make it look cool, but they made it taste like they forgot to develop what it actually is. Put some yuengling lager, porter or penn pilsner in the cooler so that the rest of us can relax and enjoy something. No need to stoop to the level of any of the predatory beers that strongarm distributors and set policy based on legal intimidation and race car marketing, but a good plain local beer would be fine, and I won't tell anyone that the hubbies are so uncool for not having a beer with a picture of some guy hanging upside down with an umbrella over a madchen sitting somewhere with a poodle, orsome other goofy label that makes no sense on a beer.

I agree, David. It's gotten so bad that I won't try any new beer without reading the label first ,some of them have fruit juice in them. Tasted a free one once and hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I agree, David. It's gotten so bad that I won't try any new beer without reading the label first ,some of them have fruit juice in them. Tasted a free one once and hated it.
    Dead right on. Hubbies club beer chests are often filled with beers that have cherries or berries or something goofy like that in them. Awful awful awful. Save the berries for perfumes and tortes.

I would think that if somebody can wax eloquently about the nuances of their chosen profession or hobby, they might cut some slack to those who take a similar level of interest in the finer points of a different profession or hobby.

I like beer. Many different kinds, though my tastes have strayed away from the sweeter ones--I just don't care to drink them (unless they're free and offered to me). I drank MGD (bottles only) in college and shortly after, then progressed to Killian's and Dundee's Honey Brown. Then there was Newcastle, then I found a local brewpub. Now all those previous beers taste like water to me. Ales, porters, stouts are my staples, but in the last couple years, I lifted my ban on IPAs when I discovered one I liked at a different local brewery. Now I've had many different kinds, and truly enjoy the intense bitterness and hoppy flavor. Can I distinguish the different varieties of hops? Nope--I just don't care that much (but I may in the future as I do more homebrewing). I have a fairly sensitive olfactory organ (has lots of surface area, if you know what I mean), but I haven't "trained" to name all the flavors I detect in a beer, mostly because I just want to drink the beer.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I would think that if somebody can wax eloquently about the nuances of their chosen profession or hobby, they might cut some slack to those who take a similar level of interest in the finer points of a different profession or hobby.

I like beer. Many different kinds, though my tastes have strayed away from the sweeter ones--I just don't care to drink them (unless they're free and offered to me). I drank MGD (bottles only) in college and shortly after, then progressed to Killian's and Dundee's Honey Brown. Then there was Newcastle, then I found a local brewpub. Now all those previous beers taste like water to me. Ales, porters, stouts are my staples, but in the last couple years, I lifted my ban on IPAs when I discovered one I liked at a different local brewery. Now I've had many different kinds, and truly enjoy the intense bitterness and hoppy flavor. Can I distinguish the different varieties of hops? Nope--I just don't care that much (but I may in the future as I do more homebrewing). I have a fairly sensitive olfactory organ (has lots of surface area, if you know what I mean), but I haven't "trained" to name all the flavors I detect in a beer, mostly because I just want to drink the beer.
    By all means, if you like to examine the details, I'm not putting anyone down about that until it becomes a peeing contest to them and they like to insult someone else who feels like it's fine to enjoy something without joining the contest to be able to express the wonderment 15 different ways.

Same with the music snobs. It's fine if someone else likes to spend a lot of time in the indie scene wringing their hands over why this act or that act is better than anything commercial at the time, but start slinging barbs at people who don't get the same excitement about trying to know something that they think someone else doesn't (that's really what it's about, anyway), and if I don't have an exit route, which I would gladly take any time some of that stuff starts up, then I've got no choice but to call it out.

What's going on with this place lately? Do you think we could have a discussion about BEER without someone getting upset?

Folks,

I will remind everybody that a friendly, civil attitude is expected here at SMC.

Surely we haven't become so bigoted that we don't allow others to have a different taste in beer or music and be able to express those differences without insulting each other.

Come on Man!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=David Weaver; ... I haven't yet found a beer with the word Ale in it that's worth drinking...
    [/QUOTE]

Heretic!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    Guinness beer is a perfect example of a beer that is far better on tap than in the bottle. Especially when it is on tap in Ireland. It is like drinking smooth cream compared to the bottled stuff.
    Amen brother!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Busch Light....on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Heretic!
    I got a giggle out of that. i see the post that I responded to is gone left to leave me to either trim my posts or look like a crazy lunatic. I'm fine with the latter.

Blog Entries
    I was a serious home brewer for a couple decades. I did pretty well in the competitions. Ultimately, I determined my favorites to make were Stouts, Porters, Northern English Brown Ales, Belgian Wit, Czech Lagers, and the odd Heffeweisen for SWMBO. That reminds me, I should brew a batch....
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    Guinness beer is a perfect example of a beer that is far better on tap than in the bottle. Especially when it is on tap in Ireland. It is like drinking smooth cream compared to the bottled stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Amen brother!
    It's more than just Guinness. I believe the delivery system is the main reason some people dislike stouts and porters. They drink them too cold and too fizzy.

There's a big brewpub here in Denver, one of the oldest, Wynkoop Brewing (say Win-coop). The stouts and such are on a different system and are pumped by hand at the tap; the beer isn't pushed via pressurized gas. I forget what they call it, but it delivers the dark stuff without adding any fizz. It just flows out of the tap as they pump the handle. Anyway....the stouts are rich and full of flavor because it's not coming out of a fridge. Basement temp beer....room temperture glass....that's how you want to greet your stout.

So Curtis.... If you find yourself in a pub that can offer you a "proper" stout, try it again. The richness and creaminess is not there when it's too cold.

On a typical Friday night, my wife and I can be found at a local family owned and operated Mexican restaurant. While I have purchased 1 time, 1 6-pack of Dos Equis Amber ale in the bottle, it doesn't compare to the Dos Equis Amber ale I purchase on tap at this local restaurant.

I think you are right Joe. I think it's as much the delivery system, the makeup of the storage vessel (glass vs stainless steel vs aluminum) and temperature.

But while I like Speights Gold Medal Ale, Cold Smoke Scotch ale and Dos Equis Amber Ale on tap........and while I have 15 - 16 oz cans of Cold Smoke cooling in our 2nd refrigerator 20 feet from me....there is also a case of Bud in there too. Not everybody likes a dark beer as a Scotch ale...and some days you feel a Scotch ale ....some days you don't.

The main thing Curtis.....you have a lot of life left ahead of you......don't try drink it all tonight ........and don't be afraid to try different brews.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    It's more than just Guinness. I believe the delivery system is the main reason some people dislike stouts and porters. They drink them too cold and too fizzy.

There's a big brewpub here in Denver, one of the oldest, Wynkoop Brewing (say Win-coop). The stouts and such are on a different system and are pumped by hand at the tap; the beer isn't pushed via pressurized gas. I forget what they call it, but it delivers the dark stuff without adding any fizz. It just flows out of the tap as they pump the handle. Anyway....the stouts are rich and full of flavor because it's not coming out of a fridge. Basement temp beer....room temperture glass....that's how you want to greet your stout.

So Curtis.... If you find yourself in a pub that can offer you a "proper" stout, try it again. The richness and creaminess is not there when it's too cold.
    maybe thats my problem,, I stuck the bottles in the fridge thats almost to freezing,,, tasted so bitter and gross to me.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!