Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: any beers I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    maybe thats my problem,, I stuck the bottles in the fridge thats almost to freezing....
    That's too cold for almost any beer.

Try this experiment. Put two of your favorite beers in your "almost to freezing" fridge. The next day, take one out and put it on the counter. Thirty minutes later open it and pour it in a glass, and get the second beer from the fridge and pour it in a glass as well. Compare the two, and I just about guarantee the one that was allowed to warm just a bit has richer flavors. It'll still be cool and refreshing - I'm not talking warm beer. But try to avoid wicked cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post

Try this experiment. Put two of your favorite beers in your "almost to freezing" fridge. The next day, take one out and put it on the counter. Thirty minutes later open it and pour it in a glass, and get the second beer from the fridge and pour it in a glass as well. Compare the two, and I just about guarantee the one that was allowed to warm just a bit has richer flavors. It'll still be cool and refreshing - I'm not talking warm beer. But try to avoid wicked cold.
    I since adjusted it, after I had a beer freeze after the first sip, kinda funny.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

My ire is also driven by the husbands of my wife's friends who I'm convinced drink lots of trendy beers that just don't taste that good, but they drink them because they want people to think how thoughtful and cute the packaging, flavor concoctions and names are. But most of them just aren't very good, which they often confirm "I don't think I like this one". Yeah, nobody does, the maker spent tons of money and time trying to figure out how to make it look cool, but they made it taste like they forgot to develop what it actually is. Put some yuengling lager, porter or penn pilsner in the cooler so that the rest of us can relax and enjoy something. No need to stoop to the level of any of the predatory beers that strongarm distributors and set policy based on legal intimidation and race car marketing, but a good plain local beer would be fine, and I won't tell anyone that the hubbies are so uncool for not having a beer with a picture of some guy hanging upside down with an umbrella over a madchen sitting somewhere with a poodle, orsome other goofy label that makes no sense on a beer.
    To this I completely agree. I enjoy the craft beers, but I am also not afraid to call a s#$t beer s#$t.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post

Yum. An unheated and uninsulated basement is a good place to keep beers and drink them at basement temperature, ground temperature, whatever. That might be a little too warm for some peoples' taste but it's about where I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    On a typical Friday night, my wife and I can be found at a local family owned and operated Mexican restaurant. While I have purchased 1 time, 1 6-pack of Dos Equis Amber ale in the bottle, it doesn't compare to the Dos Equis Amber ale I purchase on tap at this local restaurant.

I think you are right Joe. I think it's as much the delivery system, the makeup of the storage vessel (glass vs stainless steel vs aluminum) and temperature.

Oh I agree, on tap is better than in the bottle/can. When traveling in Jamaica I was drinking red stripe like it was going out of style, a REALLY good beer I was impressed. Got state side and had one, it did not taste the same. Then I found out why. imports have to be pasteurized. that sucks because it is truly a good beer in its native form.

I will say while I am not a fan of bud or any brands there of, I toured the AB plant at busch gardens a long while back and they gave you 2 cups of beer straight off the line. The beer was Michelob and I have to admit straight from the factory, it was pretty amazing.guess something happens to it after it sits in a bottle too long.

There is a local pub here which has like 32 taps, I love hanging there with my friends sometimes, the beer is good and the conversations lighthearted and fun.

Mahogany a couple of weeks to bottling.

WP_20130307_001.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 03-07-2013 at 8:37 AM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

go get a case of yuengling bock while you can
    it's only out this time of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    Oh I agree, on tap is better than in the bottle/can.....
    Just to clarify: The stouts I was talking about at Wynkoop Brewing are not just "on tap" as Ken and Keith speak of. It's more like the old fashioned water pump, where one stroke delivers a few ounces of beer. It's not your typical tap where you open the valve and beer comes out until you close it. Some kind of siphon tap bringing it up from the basement. Three or four slow pumps, and the glass is full. It's that lack of pressure, I think, (along with cellar temp brew and room-temp glass) that makes the stout shine at Wynkoop.

If you ever find yourself in a brewpub that offers this type of delivery on the dark stuff, give it a try. Especially if you think you aren't a stout person.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    maybe thats my problem,, I stuck the bottles in the fridge thats almost to freezing,,, tasted so bitter and gross to me.
    I find beer is often served far too cold, you can't taste a thing when it's that cold.

Of course for some beers, that's a merciful approach.

My basement is cool, that's where the beer is, not in the fridge.

Often when I'm out for a beer, I'll let the beer breathe for 20 minutes in the mug before I drink it, warms up a bit, tastes better.

Regards, Rod.

I'm thrilled I'm not a connoisseur of beers. I like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) quite a bit.

I've had an awful lot of beer that was hyped by friends and thought "what is the hype about, this just isn't that great."

I also like Folgers coffee just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I also like Folgers coffee just fine.
    Count me on that, also. Maxwell House, not so much, but folgers is just fine.

I'm thrilled I'm not a connoisseur of beers. I like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) quite a bit.
    I'm not a connoisseur of beer for sure....

I like Busch Natural Light. But...only when the local bowling alley has their Friday night quarter special.
    $.25 a game, $.25 for a hot dog, $.25 for a 12 ounce glass of Natty Light.

For five bucks you can have some fun, get half skunked and eat a meal.. .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I'm thrilled I'm not a connoisseur of beers. I like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) quite a bit. I've had an awful lot of beer that was hyped by friends and thought "what is the hype about, this just isn't that great."
    That is funny. We are about to get invaded here by Hipsters, due to the SXSW music/film festival and their signature beer is PBR. It has been years since I tried one; not really a fan of the super-light domestic lagers but have to say, had a neighbor show up with an ice-cold can of Coors Light the other day. We had both been working in our yards, it was hot out (Texas...), and that beer tasted great at that moment! You and he probably have the same palate; don't want to "explore" too much, just have a cold beer that goes down smoothly and does not taste funny, LOL. My wife is the exact same way. Her favorite beers are lagers: Sol from Mexico and then Imperial from Costa Rica.

A suggestion: If you are interested in exploring a beer that is easy on the palate but also a bit more interesting, you might consider a hefeweizen like Blue Moon. That is my wife's beer of choice if we are out where micro-brews are offered. Good when serve cold and also very light on the palate, no hoppy taste. Just a thought...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That is funny. We are about to get invaded here by Hipsters, due to the SXSW music/film festival and their signature beer is PBR. It has been years since I tried one; not really a fan of the super-light domestic lagers but have to say, had a neighbor show up with an ice-cold can of Coors Light the other day. We had both been working in our yards, it was hot out (Texas...), and that beer tasted great at that moment! You and he probably have the same palate; don't want to "explore" too much, just have a cold beer that goes down smoothly and does not taste funny, LOL. My wife is the exact same way. Her favorite beers are lagers: Sol from Mexico and then Imperial from Costa Rica.

A suggestion: If you are interested in exploring a beer that is easy on the palate but also a bit more interesting, you might consider a hefeweizen like Blue Moon. That is my wife's beer of choice if we are out where micro-brews are offered. Good when serve cold and also very light on the palate, no hoppy taste. Just a thought...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    You know, I really dislike light beers too. My wife loves Pillsners. I can't stand them. I will say this, though....

Remember those little beer bottles that we used to be able to get...I think they were mostly Budweiser. They looked like little hand grenades. When I was growing up, it was so common to see a guy working hard, stop for lunch, open his cooler and out would come a sandwich and a little beer bottle. Man, there is nothing better after busting your butt outside in the hot sun than to sit under some shade and crack open an ice cold Bud.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    .....Remember those little beer bottles that we used to be able to get...I think they were mostly Budweiser. They looked like little hand grenades.....
    Pony bottles. Eight packs of 7oz bottles. That takes me back to beach bonfires and chasing girls whose names I've long since forgotten....

I agree on that temperature point.Like my cold drinks cool room temperature .In winter just keeping them in kitchen base cabinet floor shelf is good enough. In warm weather I use fridge,but set them out for a while before drinking.