Thread: Offset ratchet wrenches that are offset?

Offset ratchet wrenches that are offset?

Anyone have a link to set of metric offset ratchet wrenches that are "offset" in the usual way? - i.e. the end of the handle bends down about an inch?

The tools I find that are named "offset ratchet wrenches" are only offset in the sense that the head is set at a slight angle to the handle of the wrench (e.g. the Pittsburgh set from Harbor Freight) or the head is a "flex" head. A non-ratcheting box end wrench with that shape wouldn't be called an "offset wrench".

Blog Entries
    A quick google pulled up offset box end wrenches at Sears. If you are looking for open end, those may be more difficult.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    A quick google pulled up offset box end wrenches at Sears. If you are looking for open end, those may be more difficult.
    Coincidence! I was at Sears this morning. But I'm not looking for plain offset box end wrenches (which they had), but offset ratchet wrenches - the kind that looks like a box end wrench, but it has ratcheting jaws inside the box.

Stephen, I've have not seen the offset on the ratcheting end of the wrench, not sure anyone makes them that way. We have quite a few different brands of ratcheting wrenches in the shop but none have the offset in the end you are looking for. Offset on the other boxend, yes.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I have some old ones, I would try gearwrench flex head, look at these
    Craftsman 12 pc. Wrench Set,12 pt. Offset Ratcheting Box-End Metric and Standard

Sears Item# 00943027000 | Model# 43027
    J Load

Amazon has them.

There are some that are made out of 2 pieces of flat steel that we used to use in the HVAC biz and they were nice and I have one for battery cable removing and it works great.

Like these.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post

Those are like the Pittsburgh offset ratchet wrenches at Harbor Freight. But (to repeat) a tilted head or a flex head isn't what I seek. I seek an "offset" ratchet head that is offset like the head on ordinary offset box wrenches.

For example, this box end wrench has a modest offset: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0Wrenchesmv=rr

I find flex head wrenches to be awkward to use in most situations. So often I have to use my free hand to hold the head on fastener so it doesn't flop off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I find flex head wrenches to be awkward to use in most situations. So often I have to use my free hand to hold the head on fastener so it doesn't flop off.
    You can tighten the flex joint on the Gearwrench ones to suit your needs.

http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/in...hes---6-Point/

Hi Stephen, I have these at work, they are true offset ratcheting wrenches...........Rod.

deep offset ratcheting wrench

No such thing on the entire internet (I looked )

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    deep offset ratcheting wrench

No such thing on the entire internet (I looked )
    That, I can agree with!

I looked at some wrenches at Sears where the "game" appeared to be to use a ratcheting wrench with a slightly tilted head (which I do NOT regard as a true "offset" wrench) with special sockets that were designed to fit into the ratchet instead of fit on the usual kind of square drive. (Perhaps these were Gearwrench products.) The special socket provides an offset so you get to fasteners that are down in a recessed area. On one hand, with sockets lying about in the heat of battle, I think it would get rather confusing to have the special sockets and ordinary sockets present. But I'm still tempted by the idea. If you had a very commonly used size on the basic wrench, like 12mm, you'd often be able to use it without hunting for a socket unlike a regular ratchet drive where you always need a socket.