Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robust American Beauty vs. Powermatic 3520B

I have both a DVR XP and a PM 3520B. If I were younger and had more money, I would definitely consider buying the Robut AB. That said, the PM is great. As far as tilting the tailstock on it is concerned, there are several aftermarket jigs that will do it. I have one that cost about $200. and it works fine.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

As one who has never had any "hands on" experience with the machines you mention, my "opinion" might be worth about a half a bag of beans. But here it is anyway. It would be hard to resist the temptation to get into a Robust or Serious lathe. I think I would lean toward the Serious. I would much prefer cast iron to welded steel.

But…. I have seen the PM in all it's glory and I cannot imagine ever needing more lathe than that. And at half the price of either the Serious or the Robust? Not too hard a call to make. The fact is, If I had unlimited funds, i would be hard pressed not to get into a VB36 with all the "bells and whistles". And then get the Serious for smaller stuff...
    David DeCristoforo

Glenn, in a nutshell, you are comparing two different "levels" of lathes. IF you are going to compare the Robust AB to a Powermatic, it should be the 4224B, not the 3520B.

So, I don't think there really is a comparison between the two you mentioned...though I'm sure you'd be happy with either as the 3520B is no slouch!

Now, comparing the 4224B to the AB...well, you'd simply have to compare bells and whistles to see which you'd prefer. You really kinda can't go wrong with either. One feature the AB doesn't come with is a digital tach (or any tach for that matter). Most turners go by feel and don't give a rat's butt about a tach. On the other hand, some do. I know someone with an AB and he has a chart on the wall (laminated, so it doesn't crumble up and disintegrate when he's turning wet wood), and if he needs to know the speed, he looks at his dial, looks at the chart, and he knows what his rpms are...give or take.

So, comparing THOSE two lathes, I think you'll have to look at the specs and see which one suits you better. Might just come down to price (with shipping, crating, etc)...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Oops, I have the Robust Liberty, not the Sweet 16. Must have sliding headstock for me. Sweet 16 looks nice as well. I figure the main competition for the Robust is Oneway, or the other way around since Oneway was out first.

robo hippy

5. I have just gone through a similar decision making process. I retired last year and decided that a new lathe would be my personal retirement present. In the end, I decided on a Robust Sweet 16 Standard Bed. Placed my order and if the stars align it will be shipped to me in the next couple of weeks. I have never seen one, yet alone turned on one, so I am buying largely based on reputation.

I have a very small shop. I needed something that would fit the available space. I had considered a Robust, the 3520B and one of the Novas. I am sure that any of them would do anything I will ever need. In the end I went with Robust because it is made in the US and you can actually talk to the people who make them. And, I figured this was the last lathe I will ever buy and I wanted to spoil myself!

Financially, I know it's impossible to justify the premium cost of the Robust. In my case, it fit my space perfectly and I know I will never regret the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Markwardt View Post
    I went with Robust because it is made in the US
    If everything else is equal, if that ain't the best reason, I don't know what is. And everything is at LEAST equal among the three you mentioned!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Interestingly enough, when I bought my PM 3520B Onyx, I was in a position where money actually was NO object to the decision. That being said, to my mind, value always IS an object. I decided on the PM over the Robust American Beauty. The value proposition was just not there for me to double the cost of the lathe for the (to me) relatively minor feature upgrades I'd get.
    Price-wise, the comparison to make is the PM4224 vs. the Robust as others have said. In that case, there's really no comparison at all. To my mind, the fact the PM charges what they do for the 4224 is OBSCENE. I about gagged when I first heard the price for that. If I did spend that kind of money on a lathe, it'd be the Robust, hands down. (please understand, my 4224 owning friends, I mean no offense to you...This is just my opinion about my feelings.)
    Now, if price IS an object, which it always is for almost everyone, and is again for me, the choice I'd be pondering is the Jet 1642 vs the PM 3520B. In that case, John Keeton's comments above would be very compelling for me. I'd agonize long and hard over which to choose. I'm supremely glad I got my PM, and feel the value for money is definitely there to choose it over the 1642. I'm very glad I was in a position to actually make it happen at one time. But honestly, I've not yet done ONE thing on my beloved Onyx that I couldn't also have done as slickly on the 1642...

As has been pointed out, comparing the Robust AB to the 3520 is apples to oranges; the 4224 is nearly at apples to apples for swing, power, etc. I took delivery of my 3Hp Robust AB at the symposium in San Jose. Saved shipping cost by hauling it back to Seattle in a trailer.
    I spent a long time making my decision. I'm not a professional turner - far from it. I'm rapidly approaching retirement - my 64th B'day is in April and anticipate spending much more time at the lathe when I get there. I looked at the decision as if this was the last lathe I was ever going to buy.
    Compared to the Powermatic 4224 or the OneWay 2436, the cost by the time you get them all equaled out was a dead heat. I spent a lot of time (ask Brent - he was patient as I went through the process over nearly 10 months) getting actual turning time on all three to get a feel for what I liked. Brent got me in touch with an owner within driving distance so I could get some time on the lathe. The Robust AB just fit what I do and how I do it better than the other two. The ergonomics are superb - at least for me. It seemed to fit like a glove. The added fact that it is made in the USA and comes with the best support in the business is just icing on the cake.
    So, if you're going to compare, make sure it's apples to apples, and make sure you get actual time on the lathe of your choice before committing to a sale.
    As has been pointed out - they're all good lathes. At this level, you have to expect that they're well engineered. The choice becomes what fits with how you turn and how's the service. I don't think anyone can compare to Robust for customer service.
    ps - Please don't tell anyone, but...I do have to admit to putting a rpm readout on it shortly after installing it (cost less than $35 and an hour of time). I was spoiled early on. I found I don't use it as much as I thought I would, so it'll probably be coming off soon.

Just to reiterate. I was not drawing a comparison between the PM3520 and the AB. They are indeed in two distinct levels of product. What I am trying to get a handle on is if (for a serious hobbyist, non-professional) there is good reason to spend the extra money for the AB. Between the two, the PM3520 gives much more bang for the buck (and is thus a better value) while the AB is one of the few dream machines. As I have stated, the PM4224 was never a consideration. If I am going to plop down that kind of money, I'm getting a made-in-the-USA AB.

So this thread was not an attempt to compare the 3520 and the AB. It was an attempt to answer the following question:

Will a $3500 lathe most likely do everything I would ever want/need a lathe to do or would it make more sense to make a larger investment and move up the food chain to the AB? I am still undecided.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Will a $3500 lathe most likely do everything I would ever want/need a lathe to do or would it make more sense to make a larger investment and move up the food chain to the AB?
    To more specifically answer this question, in my opinion, the 3520B will do everything you would ever want/need and do it quite comfortably. My feeling is that the features added to the AB do nothing to expand *what* you can do. Just how luxurious it is to do those things...

In fact, I believe the JET 1642 may just as well do everything most people would ever want/need a lathe to do, and that's yet another $1000 saved...

Glen, I do see your point. I've turned on both. What the AB will allow you to do is turn a larger blank. The PM3520B has a 20" swing and the AB has a 25" (?) swing. That is one difference. Also, isn't the PM3520B a 2 hp lathe, while the AM can be gotten with 3hp? That, oddly enough can and will make a difference.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the PM3520B. If you had one, you'd likely be thrilled. Here's my thought: If you have the money to get the AB, do it. Why? Because it may be the last lathe you ever buy...or at least for a long time. You may, however, grow out of the PM3520B. I don't really know the history on the prices that Robust has charged for their lathes, but for some reason, I think theirs have been much more consistent over the years than PM and Jet. The PM3520B today that costs $4000 is the same as the PM3520B that cost in the mid $2000s just 4 or 5 years ago. The same Jet 1642 that costs $2000 (sale price...normally about $2400...for the 1 1/2hp motor!) today was $1500 two years ago. For both of those manufacturers, you are getting a product that has dramatically increased in price while the product has stayed the same.

Again, the PM3520B is a great lathe (overpriced if you asked me). But a good lathe! And I don't think you can compare the Jet 1642 to the PM3520B for the same reason that you can't compare the PM3520B to the AB. But if you can't afford the PM3520B, then the Jet 1642 is a good lathe, too. But if you had the money, I'd go with the PM.

For many/most of us, the money output for the AM makes it a "dream" lathe. Even the PM4224 is a dream lathe to many/most of us. And the PM3520B seems to be something juuuuust in reach of more of us than the other two. But if you've got the money...

Lastly, I'll say this: The Jet 1642 is the flagship Toyota/Nissan/Honda. The PM3520B is the flagship BMW/Porsche/Mercedes. The Robust and Oneway are, well, Ferraris/Lamborghini's/RRs. Which will you be happy with/do you need?
    I drink, therefore I am.

While most of what you are saying is very very true, Jeremy, the simple numbers don't lie and show the limitations of each lathe. The Jet has a 16" swing and has a 1.5 hp motor. So, even turning outboard, you still have only a 1.5 hp motor...and that will limit you on the big stuff. The PM3520B has a 20" swing, and there again, is your inboard limit. Nothing wrong with 2 hp, but again, has its limits. The AM has a 25" swing. Yes a limit, but just about the largest inboard limit available! And at 3hp, will do anything that the other lathes will do...but easier.

Now, if you don't have access to wood now, and never will, that is over 16" in diameter, the other two choices may not be "necessary".
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Will a $3500 lathe most likely do everything I would ever want/need a lathe to do or would it make more sense to make a larger investment and move up the food chain to the AB?
    You're probably still deciding as you're asking two separate questions above. A $3,500 lathe will do everything you will likely ever want / need it to do. Moving up the food chain will then become a decision of "Do I want the extras?".

So, consider what you can get with the AB as a lot of ala carte extras... for an extra $3,500, you get immediate "upgrades"; Creations that are possibly 10" larger in diameter, stainless steel bed (I really like this feature), adjustable height (a huge benefit if you're not at the perfect height for the PM3520 and need to stand on blocks, or put the lathe on blocks), and a moveable headstock. The ala carte options then slowly add to the price, but also add functionality... tilt-away tailstock, bigger motor, bed extensions, foot switch, etc. Not to mention Robusts seem to hold their value REALLY well...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Is the Robust a lot more lathe than the PM 3520?

Yup! No doubt about it!

Both are good lathes. If the PM was still made in the US, it would most likely be in the $5000 plus range.

robo hippy

Personally if money was no object it would be VB36 (long bed) all the way for me, having said that I had a look at the Robust lathes and they look like fantastic lathes, well made in the US (not china which seem to make 99 percent of everything on the planet these days) but the VB36 is just a monster and those bearings ohh my goodness, I've gone all wobbly at the knees ;-)