Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robust American Beauty vs. Powermatic 3520B

While trying to justify a new toy(Robust or Oneway) I realized that with the bed extension mine will extend to 56" in length or turn 34"? in diameter and adjustable to either. Also the bed extension makes a great base to hold a hollowing stabilizer bar and comes with a very steady tool rest extension. Not bad for a Honda. My rpm indicator fell off ---ok. Most of the yellow is no more yellow.

Robert, if yours is yellow, then it would be a Beemer or Bentz... BTW, nothing wrong with Hondas, Nissans, or Toyotas. Not bashing them. Just using them for comparisons. Heck, a Yugo will get you from point A to point B...well, it MIGHT get you there...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Glen - from your last post - there is only one person that can answer the question - YOU. Get some time on any lathe you're considering. Not just a few minutes; find someone local that will let you bring your tools, some wood, and even your chucks if they'll fit. Spend enough time to get a feel for the machine in use as you'll be using it. Don't forget to cleanup afterwards...and offer something in return. I took the shavings with me.
    You'll know immediately if the extra cost is worth it. It takes time and effort to get there, but your local club/s may have people with the equipment you're considering, and few turners seem to be reluctant to share experiences. when you're considering spending that kind of cash, you owe it to yourself to get it as right as possible.

I have used all the lathes mentioned and I ended up with the American Beauty longbed with swing away and 3HP motor. I cannot say enough good things about it. But the reason I would get it over the PM are as follows. I like the design and ergonomics of the machine. The height has unlimited adjustment. 4 bolts and the legs slide in and out so you can set it to what ever height is best at the time and if it needs to be changed later no big deal. The moveable pendent and I also got the foo peddle off switch so when I am hollowing with both hands I have a easy/safe way to shut off the lathe. The swing away is very convenient. Really makes it easy when needed. The power is exceptional. I just leave mine on high range, I have not found a need to go to low range for anything yet. The banjo slides incredibly easy for such a large stable unit. Last but definitely not least is the fact that you have the best business owners in the business to deal with.

Far as shipping what I did was I ask Brent if he wanted to use my machine for demos at SWAT last year. He brought it to SWAT for free. Saved a bunch of cash. But I had to wait a while. I think I ordered it in April and picked it up at SWAT in August.

If you have the funds to get the American Beauty without question it is the way to go.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I like the design and ergonomics of the machine. The height has unlimited adjustment. 4 bolts and the legs slide in and out so you can set it to what ever height is best at the time and if it needs to be changed later no big deal.
    Alan
    As I will not be making this purchase tomorrow, but am merely doing some brainstorming well in advance of pulling the trigger, I am not under duress to make a definitive decision. That being said, I am leaning to the AB.

Alan - from reading your post, it sounds as if you have reason to make adjustment to the height from time to time (dictated by the procedure being undertaken I presume). I had never considered this. Are there times when lowering or raising the spindle height desirable?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Just in case Alan doesn't chime back in, Glen, let me just say that from what I've seen of the adjustable legs (I know two turners with ABs and have turned on both of them...the lathes, that is, not the turners...), while they are adjustable, it is more of an adjustment at the time of set up than an adjustment for each project. It isn't as simple as changing the belt on your pulley for speed changes. Though, if for some reason down the road, you want to/feel like changing the height, it wouldn't be a horrible experience. Or if you are 5' 8" and sold the lathe to a 6' 3" guy, the new owner could just change the height to suit him when he set is up in his shop.

Or maybe another useful need for changing the height (on a slightly higher rate than ownership change) would be if you are 5' 6" and have the lathe set up for you, but have a demonstrator coming in that is 6' 3". He wouldn't have to be stooped over for the entire day doing the demo...

If Alan does chime in, he may contradict my post. That's fine. He's an actual AB owner, and maybe he does change the height often...
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 03-08-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Robert, if yours is yellow, then it would be a Beemer or Bentz... BTW, nothing wrong with Hondas, Nissans, or Toyotas. Not bashing them. Just using them for comparisons. Heck, a Yugo will get you from point A to point B...well, it MIGHT get you there...
    Nope. Yugo was $4,000 and not worth it. Now the Yugo Sport was a different story. That was a plain Yugo that had a decal on the windshield that said "Sport". Sort of like the worse lathe ever created painted a nice mustard color.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Adjustable height?

I just have this weird image of somebody getting the Robust lathe and adjusting the height to his or her 6'3" frame.
    Take out the bolts.
    Lift up the lathe (680 lbs, so 340 lbs per end) and stick in the bolts.

If successful, that 340 lb dead lift throws the back out of whack and from then on he or she can only lift 10 lbs at a time and never turns a bowl over 10".
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the 3520B and have just a few thoughts after reading all of the above.
    1. The stainless steel ways of the AB would come in handy when turning wet wood; I like to keep my lathe in "like new" condition and spend more time than I'd like cleaning up mid-turning.
    2. At 52, I don't mind taking the tailstock off and putting it back on, but I can see a day when an aftermarket swing-away accessory will be on my list. They are available for the 3520B, but I'd factor in that cost when considering your options.
    3. The spindle on the 3520B is 10" above the ways, but only about 8" above the banjo. That means you can't easily slide the banjo from one side of your turning to the other if the diameter is larger than about 16". Not too difficult if you are using a chuck or faceplate, but tougher if you are turning something big between centers. I recently turned a side table and had to remove it and remount to get to the other side.
    4. If you are among the few who want to turn things larger than 20" diameter, the bed extension for the 3520B will let you do that. I turn large pieces and take aggressive roughing cuts and have never stalled mine. Again, just consider the cost of that addition when making your decision. Also, while most online merchants offer free shipping for the 3520B, I don't think that applies to the bed extension so add that to the cost.
    4. Making a remote switch for the 3520B is apparently an easy and inexpensive proposition.
    5. I don't see myself outgrowing my Powermatic and have no complaints, but I do drool a bit over the AB and other dream lathes!

Have fun making your decision.

The main reason for needing to adjust the lathe bed height, at least for me is having students who are 'vertically impaired'. An adjustable platform is the way to go. Maybe if I was doing a lot of hollow forms, I would want it higher, or I like the lathe higher for boxes, but turning a 2 inch diameter box on the Beauty is, well, kind of funny. I have a mini Jet for that, and have it set higher so I can see inside better.

As for adjusting the legs, and another positive factor with the Robust is the portability kit. A small screw jack is used, and it locks in very securely, and you give it a few turns, and it is up in the air. While on the wheels, I can easily move it with 1 hand around my shop. Steering it is easier with 2 people. A few years back, I could dead lift one end of the lathe with no problem, but I am older and wiser now.

robo hippy

It is really easy to change the height. I have done it at least once. All you need is a floor jack and a wood block. You put the floor jack under one end of the bed jack it up with the wood block on the floor jack. Loosen the bolts and slide the legs in our our to desired length. Tighten the bolts and set back on the ground. Go to the other end and do the same and you are done. If needed you can do what Brent calls settling of the lathe and loosen the bolts of the leg brackets at the bed and try to shake the lathe and re-tighten the bolts. Just takes a minute if needed.

Alan

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Jumped in on this thread as it hits a recurring theme. Some folks have made a car analogy, here is mine, comparing the PM 3520 to the AB is like comparing a Kia to a Corvette. The Kia will get you anywhere you want to go safely and reliably. The Corvette will too, but at a whole different level of experience. If you're happy with the Kia experience, go for it, but don't expect the driving experience you'll have with the Vette. Then if you're thinking about the Vette, make sure your money is well spent. Do your research. The AB is $7775 with 3HP and Tilt-Away (not 8500 as stated above) compare that and its other features like stainless steel ways and it will probably come out on top. Plus, and it doesn't matter what your politics are, I want the US economy to grow and for you and your neighbor to stay employed. Therefore I buy US products whenever possible. That's why there is a Ford and Chevy car in my garage and a GMC truck in the driveway. Jason Edwards, a Robust S16 owner.

Mike, jet also make the 3520b so the 1644 is not there flagship lathe (they also have the 4424 too), from what I can make out, the powermatic 3520b is made by jet (though don't hold me to that one!) sorry if I'am wrong on that one guys (it's the same lathe but in the US it's marketed under the Powermatic name and in UK and Europe its marketed under the Jet name)
    Also if the AB is a Ferrari then that leaves the VB36 as the Bugatti Veyron (real old style British engineering but using bang up to date manufacturing) Damn, why wasn't I born rich!!! ;-)
    if I start saving now I might just be able to afford a 5hp longbed VB36 (with all the extras) by the time I die !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark ravensdale View Post
    Mike, jet also make the 3520b so the 1644 is not there flagship lathe (they also have the 4424 too), from what I can make out, the powermatic 3520b is made by jet (though don't hold me to that one!) sorry if I'am wrong on that one guys (it's the same lathe but in the US it's marketed under the Powermatic name and in UK and Europe its marketed under the Jet name)
    Actually, JET and Powermatic are owned by the same company, WMH Tool Group.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

NOW they are. I don't believe they were back when PM was making the 3520 and 4224. But after they merged (maybe one bought out the other, I don't know), now Jet markets the 3520 and 4224 with their paint.

Prior to their merge, the largest lathe that Jet made/marketed (to the best of my knowledge) was the 1642. As far as I know, PM doesn't make anything smaller than 20". That is Jet's market...here in the States, at least.

BTW, happy 5000 to me!
    I drink, therefore I am.