Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Robust American Beauty vs. Powermatic 3520B

I have a 3520b with the Robust tilt away. The tilt away is very, very, useful.

I am delighted with my 3520A.
    There are two basic reasons that I would like to upgrade some day:
    It's made IN AMERICA and it's got a stainless steel bed.
    The indexing is an advantage too, but not a must. I have seen and almost heard one run above the din of a woodworking show, it appears to of the highest quality and precision.
    If I were in your place and if I could AFFORD to splurge, I'd go with the Beauty.
    Its on my bucket list.
    Change One Thing

I've read this entire thread and have a question for those who have turned on both the 3520b and the American Beauty: Do you feel any feedback difference between the two? Where I'm going with this is whether the steel bed and framework of the AB is any less rigid (i.e. more alive) than the cast iron PM? Or are they equal in terms of rigidity and lack of vibration?

My buying decision is now down to between these two machines and I'm down to details.

Are you willing to make a drive for a deal? See this on Craig's List:
    http:// houston.craigslist.org/tls/5241491861.html
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 10-01-2015 at 7:38 PM. Reason: direct links to CL only allowed in D&D forum

John, thanks for the link. That does look like a great deal, but Houston and back with a trailer is not in my near future. Thanks anyway!

Clay I had a 3520 B for 6 years before upgrading to a long bed AB. Both these lathe are very sturdy. I guess the question is how hard are you going to push the lathe. The rigidity of the ways and banjos are very similar. If turning larger unbalanced pieces the Robust has a wider stance and less likely to walk. If you are turning a lot of wet wood, the stainless ways are a plus. The Robust banjo, tail and headstock are cast, but my 3520 was constantly bathed with WD-4. The extra 1 horse is nice but stallable with a good swept back gouge. I like the 25" swing. If you turn on the Powermatic with the lower ways vibration does become a problem and banjo support is the best. I think a better comparison would be a 24 x 42 Powermatic. I highly recommend turning on both. There are a number of turner in your area that would be glad to let you turn on each.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thank for the input Bob. On balance I think the Robust AB looks like the best long term investment for me. I don't see a need for the long bed, as the extension bed adds 16 inches to the standard configuration, if needed. The 3 HP upgrade looks like a good idea too. The tiltaway tailstock appears to be more of a convenience thing, but not essential.

I would definitely recommend the tilt a way. It is so nice and easy to get the tail stock out of the way.

I thought this thread died a couple years ago...I had thought the tilt away might be a little overkill - until I got mine and found that I wouldn't give it up on a bet. There's a good reason Brent has started putting it on and tells you that if you don't like it he'll take it back. I doubt he's ever gotten one returned. It would be like ordering a new car just the way you want it, then skipping power windows because you wanted to save a few bucks. Over the life of the car the additional cost is negligible, but the convenience is what you're going to miss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    Where I'm going with this is whether the steel bed and framework of the AB is any less rigid (i.e. more alive) than the cast iron PM? Or are they equal in terms of rigidity and lack of vibration?
    I have yet to see even a tremor out of my AB...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I have to weigh in. While I really like my PM, the above statements about it not being a good comparison are correct. You are comparing a Pickup truck with a Mack truck. I don't believe anyone has mentioned the quality and size of the bearings, which are much bigger and better quality on the AB. As far as liking the digital readout on the PM....I thought I would, too. And I really did, for about 6 months. I don't think I've looked at it in years. Speed is relative. The number really doesn't matter. It is all in relation to the size and the balance of the piece, and now I just go by gut instinct. I think it is funny that one of the after market modifications a lot of PM owners do is the moveable controls, while the AB has it built in....

Price, yep, making products in China will win every time, but Value.....that is a completely different thing. I think item for item, in the long run, the AB is still a better value.

Well, I can't remember, but turned on an A for 7 or 8 years, and on my AB for 7 or 8 also. Biggest difference is the noises they make. The cast iron sounds different than the steel. No lathe bed vibrations that I can feel. The 4240 shown in the add does not have the sliding headstock, a huge factor for me.

robo hippy