Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions to add some flair to my project ? - ready to assemble!

Something like this - though of course, these are not to scale with your work. An applied molding of any sort could be nice but you need to keep the simplicity and weight of the system in mind.

Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 5.35.10 PM.jpg
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Finnian Dawson View Post
    I am thinking this too..
    So : 1. hiding the end grain, but how? Was thinking of some sort of veneer, but what about that top edge of veneer that would be left exposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Something like this An applied molding of any sort could be nice but you need to keep the simplicity and weight of the system in mind.
    The veneer can by 3/4" thick a 1/4" wider than the thickness of the shelves, mitre the corners
    and apply a molding of contrasting color, wood, or metal trim as Sam points out, if you like

technical note
    grain is running the wrong direction for strength and visual appeal
    all the glue joints may soften from the heat from the stereo components and sag
    will it fall apart? probably not...

Here is another way to simply detail a thick edge that I favor:

Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 10.27.19 PM.jpg

I would only do this on the horizontal pieces and I would not center the kerf. Color in the kerf is an option. If you clear finish your parts one coat or two then do the kerf it is muss free to finish the kerf with paint as you can wipe off where you paint outside the lines pretty easily.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 03-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Here is another way to simply detail a thick edge that I favor:

Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 10.27.19 PM.jpg

I would only do this on the horizontal pieces and I would not center the kerf. Color in the kerf is an option. If you clear finish your parts one coat or two then do the kerf it is muss free to finish the kerf with paint as you can wipe off where you paint outside the lines pretty easily.
    Thanks for suggestions- i think i will dye the supports ebony, and also put a red trim on them by routing a strip as per sam and painting it red. Will any type of paint do or would i be better use a red looking wood dye such as rosewood? Also, to match the trim on the supports with the shelves, will do almost exactly as Sam suggested by using the router to create a kerf- but wouldn't it look nicer positioned 50% of shelf thickness rather than offset to one side?

Hey Guys,

Just re-visiting this again, (been very busy at work lately!) I've since picked up some oak moulding as below

White-Oak-D-Shape-8x34x2400mm_medium.jpg

I assume that the way to apply this is by mitering the corners of it and gluing it to the 4 edges of each shelf?
    The one problem is that there is a slight round-over on the shelves at the moment, and along with the round-over on the moulding, it may not look that great.