Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layer alignment problem when doing multiples with Chinese laser w/laserworks.(2)

Layer alignment problem when doing multiples with Chinese laser w/laserworks.(2)

IMG_3017.jpgI have a 50 watt Chinese laser. Not long ago we had a power spike, took out all our florescent lights and multi strips, blew the fuse in my laser and I ended up putting in a new tube and power supply...it's like 50% better than when new. BUT, not long after replacing supply and tube i noticed when I did multiples on an X axis, the layers as it got away from the origin...mis-aligned. My wife suggested I try the Y axis, and that worked, for about 2 weeks...Now either way the layers become misaligned as it gets away from the origin...BUT in some cases the first and last multiple, will be aligned. Belts are tight....This makes no sense to me, it was a gradual decline.... What the Heck. It doesn't seem like a stepper motor thing because it is so consistent, and on longer multiples the first and last will be aligned. The picture shows one done on the X axis, and one done on both. There are 3 layers, the bee design (raster) and holes (vector) and cut out circle on the outside (raster). Do any of you Experts have any ideas about this?

Do you see the little hour glass spinning in all of our heads, I'm going out for a bike ride and ponder, and hopefully someone will figure this out while I'm gone, because i can't think of anything
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Which main board are you using?

I remember occasionally having similar problems, but not since I upgraded the main board/LCD to the RDLC320. I'm not sure that was the problem, could have been a coincidence.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Yeah, it's a major PAIN...If I have little tiny 20mm pieces, I have to do them one at a time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Do you see the little hour glass spinning in all of our heads, I'm going out for a bike ride and ponder, and hopefully someone will figure this out while I'm gone, because i can't think of anything

I don't know what the problem is, but I'm familiar with it. My Triumph has done that before when changing colors. I even made a video of it doing it. I never did figure out the issue other than you can see and hear the machine change speeds as it travels from the finished color to the next (didn't mention that in the video), even though the speed and power settings were identical. The resulting offset is just about equal to the time difference- in other words, the machine used the same amount of time to change, but because it sped up (in my case), it went farther away, missed by nearly 1/4". It almost acted like the X stepper motor changed steps-per-mm during the change. I tried changing colors, changing the order of the colors, that didn't help. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to find a cure other than avoiding many color changes, and testing before I run the job.

The really weird thing was, after it missed the position of the next color (cyan in this case, following blue), every other color was wrong too. BUT, after stopping the job and running ONLY the cyan, it would engrave it where it was supposed to go. Why that's weird is, it did this without resetting the home position, so the steppers didn't skip. It just simply engraved the cyan and following colors in the wrong place!

It's only happened on one particular job and layout, but it did it every time, and I'm sure it will do it again if I run the same job. (Large SS operator panel) I was going to contact Triumph but I've just chalked it up to a software or power supply glitch. >EDIT< Just remembered, I have installed updated software since then, I should give it a go and see what happens...

Have no clue if you're suffering the same problem. But for fun, I would suggest trying changing the orders of the colors, or maybe change up the speed settings a tiny bit between the colors and see if that helps
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-28-2015 at 2:32 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What is the expense for changing a mainboard, and what does it entail exactly..is it new software as well? I have RD CAM 2 ??? I think with laserworks software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Which main board are you using?

I remember occasionally having similar problems, but not since I upgraded the main board/LCD to the RDLC320. I'm not sure that was the problem, could have been a coincidence.

I'll try messing around like that...been in a crunch for a while just needing to get things done. Another really weird thing it has done, just with some files is, it changes the size..it'll read out the correct size on the screen, and print twice as big...If I put a border around it and resize the border, but don't fire it...it'll be the right size.

It looks like I'm using MC-Board Mainboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Michael Wilson View Post
    What is the expense for changing a mainboard, and what does it entail exactly..is it new software as well? I have RD CAM 2 ??? I think with laserworks software.
    I'm not sure of the cost, didn't have to pay for mine. Changing it out is not difficult. You need to save your machine configuration so that you can upload it to the new mainboard and you will use a more current version of RDCam/LaserWorks with it as well.
    Gerber Sabre 408

backlash maybe?
    You did what !

Also you need to eliminate the possibility that the material is shifting.
    Gerber Sabre 408

ThanksYeah, it's not a material shifting issue, checked that first.... I'll look into mainboards...is there one that you feel is best?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Also you need to eliminate the possibility that the material is shifting.

What does that mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    backlash maybe?

ThanksYeah, it's not a material shifting issue, checked that first.... I'll look into mainboards...is there one that you feel is best?
    I only have experience with the RDLC320 and whatever the older one was. No complaints with the RDLC320.
    Gerber Sabre 408

What does that mean?
    When the head changes direction it will take up the slack, that can lead to a creep in the placement of engravings Vs cutting
    You did what !