Thread: Differences between brass and steel pneumatic quick release couplers

Differences between brass and steel pneumatic quick release couplers

I needed to buy an industrial type pneumatic quick release coupler. At the big box store there were two materials: brass and steel, both comparable in price. Is there a "when and where" you should use one or the other? Please educate me, otherwise I'd just go with the cheapest or brass because it's pretty. Finally getting around to asking this. Before I've just gotten the cheapest without thinking there could be an application where one is indicated and the other maybe NOT indicated. Thanks for any input.

Well, brass doesn't rust. I've seen the steel ones, I think maybe zinc coated, rust when used on construction sites. Otherwise, I've never noticed a difference. Both exceed capacity considerably.

In a marine environment they'd be less susceptible to rust on the exterior, but the brass couplers have steel internal parts.
    I use brass because I want the coupler to have the sacrificial thread, and not the tool.

Generally though, I've found the brass to be a little more $$$$ that the zinc plated steel.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Beyond corrosion the brass nipples are often used in industrial applications carrying fluids. In pneumatic applications like nailers or where valves are sharply cycling on and off there is a condition called "brinelling" (sp) which is where the balls in the coupler body continually slam against the shoulders on the nipple causing dents that form a wavy pattern. Over time this can wear out the nipple and the body so most commonly steel is used in any of these applications. We are of course talking about a lot of cycles and commercial or industrial applications with thousands of cycles or more per day.

If you want a superior coupler do check out what Prevost makes. From their side there is two types, regular and safety. Both are push button style and both comes with support for different types of plug styles. I stick with the M-style since that seems to cover the most common. If you need to know more about plug styles both Prevost and Milton have good explanations. For Miltons go to Miltonindustries and in the left side of their main page click the 'Coupler-plug id chart'. Prevost go to prevostusa.

Difference between regular and safety is that safety will require two pushes on the button to release the plug. That will purge air from the hose or tool before it can be released.