Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Shop Project: Completed - Air System

Spring Shop Project: Completed - Air System

In a thread I started not long ago, I asked about what folks would be doing for "spring shop improvement projects" and indicated that mine was to finally get the piping in for my air system...using hoses was getting old. Well, I managed to complete it this week using a few evenings and some time earlier today for the final touches. This should really make a difference, not just in convenience, but also in "air quality", especially for spraying finishes since I decided to take the "overkill" route with filtration, etc.

Type L copper was used...58' of it almost to the inch. Coming from the DC/Compressor closet, the system branches to both ends of the shop following the main DC trunk and has 2 drops in the south end, one in the middle and two in the north end. The entire system slopes back to the closet in case any moisture gets by the filter(s) with a loop of flex to enable easy draining.

Below are a few pictures of the installation:
    1. The compressor was relocated as part of this project to get it out from in front of the breaker box (code) and provide a convenient mounting location for the filtration and auto-drain. The 240 circuit was also moved, but that was very simple since it's just to the adjoining wall and still next to the breaker box...same wire, same box, same outlet. (I think I used different screws to mount it, however... )
    2. The filters and auto-drain are mounted on the backer board. Both of those black cylinders are filters...one is a dirt/water filter and the other is a coalescing filter to also insure any oil stays put. The IR auto-drain that I picked up from EBay not long ago is mounted just below them. Works great!
    3. Because the compressor is now located where the cyclone filter used to hang, said filter needed to be relocated. Square to round adapters were purchased and the cartridge assembly was hung in the corner where the compressor used to live. This is a MUCH better arrangement and leaves full access to everything.
    4. This is a picture of the drain connection at the bottom of the compressor. I sliced up an old hose and used new ends to make assembly simple...tape the connectors, screw them into the fittings and then connect the hose with little hose clamps. This also eliminates the chance of a leaky quick-connect.
    The next post will contain a few more pictures...of some drops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Additional Pictures:
    1. This set of air drops at the north end of the shop provides a regular outlet (on the bottom) and a special filtered and regulated drop for spraying finishes with my HVLP conversion guns. Putting the regulator on it means I no longer need it on the gun which makes it fit into smaller places. The white thing is an additional drying filter to insure the air has no moisture going to the gun. This little construction isn't pretty, but it will work out well for my needs. That standard drop will also make it easy to bring air to the tractor bay or out to the parking area for auto service.
    2. This drop is over my bench area
    3. And finally, this drop over the lathe gets a lot of use, especially when hollowing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-07-2005 at 9:37 PM.
    --

Jim, it looks like a nice tidy job. I do have one observation. On my compressor the compressor pulley is also a fan to blow air over the compressor. With the pulley cage close the back wall, are you going to get sufficent cooling air flow over the compressor?

Looks good
    Best Regards, Ken

Man Jim, the plumbing wasn't that professional at the Ford dealership I worked at. I'm still dragging a hose around....a stiff, short, always tangled hose to boot!
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Jim, it looks like a nice tidy job. I do have one observation. On my compressor the compressor pulley is also a fan to blow air over the compressor. With the pulley cage close the back wall, are you going to get sufficent cooling air flow over the compressor?
    The fan/pulley is nearly 4 inches from the wall. I don't think there is any air flow problem...and the compressor rarely runs.
    --

Jim,

That looks like a great system! You really did a great job!
    Did your Oneida come withe the Becker option or did you order it without since you have it already?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jim, it looks like you have a great air system set up there! I don't yet have a decent compressor, but I have saved this post for reference for when I get one and have to run my lines.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Very nice.

Jim,

Nice Job.
    What's next?
    How about one of those dark blue and green
    air sanders.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Looks great to me Jim. Smart idea to put the regulator & filter in the line for your spraying needs. What are you going to do to replace all the fun you had dodging hoses on the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    How about one of those dark blue and green air sanders.
    Nice idea, but not really necessary...the 150/3 and Rotex work so well and I'm a "very low volume" shop, as it were!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Did your Oneida come withe the Becker option or did you order it without since you have it already?
    Mine required that option...although I haven't quite figured out what it is and how it works yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Hanna
    What are you going to do to replace all the fun you had dodging hoses on the floor?
    With any luck, I can spend more time tripping over projects...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    I'm still dragging a hose around....a stiff, short, always tangled hose to boot!
    At least change your hoses. Flexeel is wonderful...very flexible, even at low temps.
    --

Nice job, Jim I used 3/4" sch40 pvc in my last shop worked great. I haven't done it yet in this shop but I do miss having not to trip over the hoses on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    Nice job, Jim I used 3/4" sch40 pvc in my last shop worked great.
    Russ, you do know that PVC is not rated for compressed gasses?...Be really careful that nothing smacks that pipe when it's cold.
    --

Jim, That looks like a nice job. Do you like sweating pipe? I do and was almost happy to find an outside water pipe had burst over the winter. It gave me a chance to do some soldering. I'm not sure if I'm going to be at my location for long or I'd be doing an air system too. I like that compressor. What size is it? Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Do you like sweating pipe? I do and was almost happy to find an outside water pipe had burst over the winter. It gave me a chance to do some soldering. I'm not sure if I'm going to be at my location for long or I'd be doing an air system too. I like that compressor. What size is it?
    NO! I hate sweating pipe and only do it when it's necessary. The compressor is an IR 60 gallon unit that I picked up early last year from Tractor Supply when they were on sale for $499.
    --

Ahh...Tractor Supply....now that's a fun store!!