Thread: This is for the Mac users

This is for the Mac users

I want to make a disc of my wife's art work to send to a gallery. We have the pics but what I want to do is add the name & size of the art under the pic....sounds easy....for the life of me I can't figure a way to do this with out adding the text on the pic which we don't want to do...Any help would be appreciated....

What I would do is to copy/paste the image into another file that has enough room for "white space" at the bottom to add the particulars. That way, the information is in the same image file when it's opened, but is easily cropped off if need be.

Here's an example. The "original image" I used here is 800 pixels wide by 504 pixels tall. I created a new file that was 800 pixels wide by 535 pixels tall and then copied the image into it. After merging the image into a single layer, I added the text at the bottom. The original image is therefore "unaltered" but additional information is available in the same file merely by opening it. Note, I used Adobe Photoshop Elements to do this image. I don't believe that iPhoto has the required editing capability to complete the task.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim describes exactly my experience and my solution. iPhoto has its place but it is very limited.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    ...... for the life of me I can't figure a way to do this with out adding the text on the pic which we don't want to do...Any help would be appreciated....
    Shareware program GraphicConverter by Lemke. Totally functional as a trial. If you decide to keep it, and if your wife is into pics then I am betting you will, then send him the $40.

Open the graphic.
    click edit->add a border, tell it how big of a border. Done

Click the text box
    Add the text
    Adjust the font, size, and style
    Move the text box wherever you want (assuming on the added border).

The add border will add a border all the way around the graphic. When you are finished editing your graphic, highlight the area of interest and click " trim".

Save.

I have photoshop, but this is my usual goto editing software. Best $ I have spent for my web pages.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    I want to make a disc of my wife's art work to send to a gallery. We have the pics but what I want to do is add the name & size of the art under the pic....sounds easy....for the life of me I can't figure a way to do this with out adding the text on the pic which we don't want to do...Any help would be appreciated....
    If you are sending samples or small size images for representational reasons and not wanting top quality, there are a few easy Mac tricks for this.

Preview is an application that comes on Macs one can use to manipulate the size on the screen for an image.

There are command key combinations that allow the making of picture files.

Shift-Command-4 turns the cursor into cross hairs move this to one corner of an image, click and drag to the opposite corner and release. A Picture file should appear on your desktop.

Add the Control Key, Control-Shift-Command-4 and the image is held on the clip board. It can be pasted into a TextEdit page for adding a caption, then both can be captured as a file or copied and pasted into a document.

The images are by default .png files. Some PCs have problems with these imbedded in documents. To change the default one either has to use their terminal mode or an Apple Script, it appears to be free, at:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18778/changecapture

From what I understand it works with newer Mac OSes later than Tiger.

If you are comfortable programing in terminal mode, let me know via PM and I will send you the lines to enter.

For me, these features for manipulating images have met almost all my image needs.

Here is an example of the finished file:

Picture 9.jpg

The file name can be changed. Here it is left as it was captured. There are likely 8 other picture files on my desktop. Maybe it is time to clean up my desktop.

Charlie mentions GrapicConverter which is a very good program to have if you do a lot of work with image files. That used to be my go to application, but since my license # wasn't written down it expired with a machine I no longer have. I feel guilty using it a lot without paying. Not to mention having to wait for 30 seconds to launch after using it free for the first month. My use was mostly to shrink files to upload to SMC before the software was changed to do the shrinking for us.

Hope this is of help,

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wouldn't it be easier to just set up a flickr account, upload the photos and email the gallery a link to the set? You can put whatever titles underneath the images you like. It's a free account for 300mb or less of data.

Thanks for all the info.
    Jim....The quality has to be real good representation of the art...The best possible. This is a gallery that it's going to.
    Charlie....Thanks for the info on the graphic converter....Downloading it now...Will have to try it
    Peter....It's not too professional to send a link to a web site to go to, to look at what your selling...

Jay,
    It is very easy with the programs that came on your Mac, by using iPhoto, Pages (the word processing program on the mac) and Preview,if necessary. Open pages click on File, new, Page Layout, Blank Canvas, double click on that and you have a new page. Drag your photo onto that page and under Insert (in pages) at the top of screen click text box. You can make the picture and text box any size you want. If you need to adjust pixel size put picture into preview and adjust size. If you need to email it do it as a PDF. I make a news letter every month for one of the woodturning clubs I belong to and all I use is the three programs I mentioned. Hope this helps.
    Jack