Thread: Modified my router table fence.

Modified my router table fence.

I modified my router table a little this past Sunday by adding a Micro Fence to it. My initial use indicates it'll work for fine adjustment.

Back view:

back.jpg

Front view:
    front.jpg

That's a great idea. I've got one I'm not using.

Question: What are the plastic pieces next to the gussets on the back of the fence?

The front of the fence has two moveable inserts ala the NYW table. There are 4 plastic knobs on the back to tighten them in position. You also see the back of the fence dust port. When I built it, I intended to use a PC 890 router with the grip vac so I didn't build in any dust collection below the table. It didn't take long to get frustrated with the kind of slop a router not made for table use has. I don't know why that annoys me now. I built for years that way. I bought a Jessem lift. The next mod will be dust collection. Though the behind the fence collection works good. Depending on the cut.

FWIW, there are pix of the whole construction elsewhere on this site.

When I built it, I took the lessons learned from my old table, one built from a plan in Woodsmith magazine long ago. In that one, the top was a piece of 3/4 inch plywood topped with hardboard. the underside of the plywood was relieved to accept the router. Of course, over time the top sagged. It was too thin. And got thinner when I put an aluminum plate in it. The one thing I did like about it was the open frame under it.

Then I saw Norm's deluxe router table. Awesome. I got the plan and intended to build exactly that. But then the "what if" bug bit. What if I ever want a new top? I did that with my old table. What if I don't like the cabinet under the top? I have a router with a grip vac for dust collection. I don't need a fancy dust collection box. And so on.

I also needed somewhere to gather all of my router bits together. Along with the sundry things that go with routers - wrenches and so on.

What you see is the result of my thinking. The top and the cabinet are separate entities placed into a framework. The frame parts are all joined with mortise and tenon. They're on rollers. two that swivel and two that do not. I think the two that do not will be changed to ones that swivel. The top is supported by a lot of framework underneath. Even though it's much thicker than the old one and topped with Formica, I still put a lot of support under it as close to the router as possible. I want no sag. Then there's all the T track. It helps with securing any stops and such that I might use. A miter gauge was a nice addition. Clamping the fence on the old one was a problem, so on this new one I used cam clamps from Rockler. Those are the bomb! Love 'em!

I'm not sold on the sliding pieces on the fence though. I'm not all that sure they're needed. Maybe I'll make a new fence that doesn't have them. the dust collection port behind the fence has worked out very well. I think I'll have to add dust collection below since I got a router lift and no longer have that grip vac. Maybe I can dream up some sort of thing to capture the dust from around the lift before it gets to too far.

I'm always willing to experiment.
    Last edited by John Piwaron; 03-13-2013 at 9:58 AM.

Nice idea!