Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal sign blanks

Metal sign blanks

I am looking for metal sign blanks. I really need standard sizes say 8x10, 9x12, 11x14

Most places I have found sell full sheets or limited sizes.

Any help is appreciated....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I use Grimco dot com. I make Street Signs but have few sales as a large sign shop makes a weekly trip through the area and the finished product prices are about what my blanks cost for a small user... For Street Signs the blanks must be treated for corrosion and my PA PENN DOT Sign Certification requires I buy blanks from a Certified Vendor. Keeps small shops like me from dumping the chemicals into the ground water. A good thing really...

A local Metal Shop told me when I asked about cutting Sign Blanks that they get calls asking about this and never hear from them again.... When I found out about the Chemical Treatment I called him back and He said that makes sence.... The Edges need to be treated too.

Grimco will cut blanks too....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 03-12-2013 at 1:44 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Martin, have you tried your local sign supply store? I know ours carries 18"x24" and 24"x36" blanks, we cut them down on our shear, but if you don't have one they will usually cut to order.
    Paul
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Grimco & R&J sign are about 30 miles, wasn't sure if they would cut it and how much they
    would charge. Hoping to find blanks at smaller sizes.

That's the first I heard of issues with metal signs and contaminants. I'll have to do some
    research on this. I don't do many signs, but time to time I am called upon to do some, go
    figure they usually need them while they wait. So goes life on an AFB Base.
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

What Gauge?
    What type of metal?

There are lots of people here who do sheet metal work that have project drops that might be available if they knew specifically what you need.

I also used Grimco for standard street sign blanks, but a local heating/Sheet Metal shop cuts to order from full sheets.
    If you don't require radius corners, look for one near you and ask. You cab also cut them yourself on a table saw if you don't mind changing blades, the full sheet price is a lot better.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Marty

Grimco is only about 15 minutes from me. Stop in if you're going over there. Better yet call me and we'll meet at the Cracker Barrel close to them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You got it Mike sounds like a plan. Maybe Fri Mar 22?

I do limited amount of signage on base as Civil Engineering takes care of most of outdoor work,
    that being said, more has been coming in. I was hoping to find just some standard sizes that
    had a base white paint or a powder coat on them, I can alway "color" them with vinyl for needed
    colors. We are finishing up new bays and a "detail" areas for our car wash, so I foresee a need for
    about 10-15, 9x12-11x14. When I get calls for something like this, they usually need it fast, so I want to
    have a few different sizes, a couple each on hand for when those times occur.

One other question, (I'm probably going to call Jefferson Tent and Awning, local, for this) We have a light brown fabric
    awning over the coin changers. The awning didn't come with text and they need me to do it. Just something basic
    such as "Change Machine" Can anyone recommend what material to use, vinyl or cloth, cuttable by vinyl cutter
    or laser. I am thinking to check with Twill USA also.

Any help appreciated!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

For less vandalism issues outdoors with colored background, use white metal and cut the lettering with colored vinyl. Weed out the letters and apply. I cut the shape of the sign about 1/8" bigger and trim after so the application doesn't have to be so precise. People don't tend to peel up the corners when standing around as much. Also save money, rather than using twice as much vinyl on every sign.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Great idea Joe! Thanks! That means I only cut one sheet then too.
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

As for the fabric letters... I came across these guys (evidently the only ones with the material, DuraStik nylon with adhesive)

http://letterbank.com/awning/

They will cut letters and graphics or provide you with the material. It seems this may be difficult to cut, any one with experience
    on thgis material? I see it has to be applied in 70degree + temp also.
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

I've never done it, but I've seen it talked about many times on sign forums, that vinyl sticks to that awning material well. I've seen dozens of examples of it done over the years.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott, I'll post on some sign forums too...
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Just normal sign vinyl will work. Not sure what you prefer, but we use Oracal, in this case, I'd use Oracal 751 and be done with it. Reading you post, I just remembered we went to a new fast food joint about a year ago and while eating lunch, a competitor's truck pulls up, 2 guys get out and they put vinyl lettering on the awning while we ate. I don't think there's anything special to do. As long as it's clean, you should be good.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Since the Car Wash is part of our Arts & Crafts Center I can try different things as long as it doesn't damage the canvas.

I did order a Speed Press Frame though to help install the graphics on the metal canopy above the detail station.
    It's about 14' tall and I aint that great for instals in the air
    Last edited by Martin Boekers; 03-14-2013 at 4:33 PM.
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,