Thread: stanley 20 compass plane chip breaker

stanley 20 compass plane chip breaker

hi ya
    I've just bought a stanley 20 compass plane off ebay and have been having trouble getting it to work.
    I'm not sure if the chipbreaker is original.
    Is the chipbreaker on this model the sort with out the hump in it,like the 113 version.
    Thank you
    Robin

Blog Entries
    Robin,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't include your location.

Yes, the #20 does have a cap iron that is different than a bench plane.

More information here:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num20

My #113 came with the wrong chip breaker (cap iron) and the wrong lever cap. It didn't work well until both were changed.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest, let me know and we can set up a meeting for you to try the chip breaker from #113 to see if that may work for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim
    Thank you for your reply and the offer of meeting to try the 113 chipbreaker.Unfortunately i'm posting from the UK.I found this site while surfing the net looking for info on compass planes,and a good site it is too.I shall try and find a replacement chip breaker in the UK,there are some companys who deal in old tools over here,i'll see if any have spares.Thank you for the link as well.
    Robin

Blog Entries
    I shall try and find a replacement chip breaker in the UK,there are some companys who deal in old tools over here,i'll see if any have spares.Thank you for the link as well.
    Robin,

You are welcome.

Make sure your source knows there is a difference in the different chip breakers. Some do not know that a #3 uses a different chip breaker. The lever cap on a #113 is also different and it makes a difference in the planes usability.

There are likely a lot of #3s out in the wild that have #113 chip breakers and lever caps.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

5. I have just bought a compass plane from ebay. The only markings is a 20 on the casting. There is nothing to say its Stanley, although it looks like one and no patent marks. It has black japanning.
    Is this normal I note that Robin has bought one too?

Quote Originally Posted by robin allies View Post
    hi ya
    I've just bought a stanley 20 compass plane off ebay and have been having trouble getting it to work.
    I'm not sure if the chipbreaker is original.
    Is the chipbreaker on this model the sort with out the hump in it,like the 113 version.
    Thank you
    Robin
    This like new, all original #20 uses a regular #3 chipbreaker. As far as I know all the #20s would be the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by James Pritchard View Post
    I have just bought a compass plane from ebay. The only markings is a 20 on the casting. There is nothing to say its Stanley, although it looks like one and no patent marks. It has black japanning.
    Is this normal I note that Robin has bought one too?
    If you would post some pictures I might be able to help.

8. Does anybody know if the redesign of the lever cap in 1933, I think, to a kidney shaped hole is applicable to the compass plane. This one is not kidney shaped so could suggest it was manufactured between 1919 and 1933?

2014-04-28 10.09.08.jpg
    Here is the only marking on my Compass 20 plane

Quote Originally Posted by James Pritchard View Post
    Does anybody know if the redesign of the lever cap in 1933, I think, to a kidney shaped hole is applicable to the compass plane. This one is not kidney shaped so could suggest it was manufactured between 1919 and 1933?

2014-04-28 10.09.08.jpg
    Here is the only marking on my Compass 20 plane
    With only 1 picture, there might be something I missed, but it appears to be a later Stanley 20. As far as I know, nobody has bothered to do a type study on the #20s so I have no idea as to whether the later #20s used the kidney hole cap. It appears they quit making them in 1958.

10. Hi Robin
    Is your stanley no 20 'made in england,' if so, is the name stanley written on the casting or lateral adjustment lever
    I have an English one without stanley written on it except for on the blade
    Thanks

11. Thanks Mel
    I will upload some more photos.
    compass plane 1.jpg 2014-05-01 16.06.35.jpgcompass plane 2.jpg

The front of my 20 is different to the one here and others on the web, its possible that its because it was made in England and I know that casting vary between the ones in the US and UK
    I am troubled that Stanley is not on the plane other than the iron.
    According to the 1949 US catalogue the iron is used on other planes but the back iron (chipbreaker ) is unique to the 20

I was hoping that Robin or somebody else from the UK might have an English 20 who could comment
    thanks